Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 FWD/4WD gearbox problem

My 1981 Subaru (Brat/MPV) lost drive in front wheels. No prior warning. I slowed for an intersection, waited for my gap and when I went there was a whiring noise - a bit lighter than a light grinding noise perhaps I could say. I changed in to 4wd Hi (and lo) and could drive like this. Took it to a mechanic and have left it.

Anyone know what this could be?

Anyone have a diagram or picture of the guts of this engine.

Thanks

It is probably not the gear box. Have your mechanic check the front hubs, it probably stripped the splines in the center of the hub. Sort of a common problem with these especially if the nut is the least bit loose or the cone washer is worn.

It is probably not the gear box. Have your mechanic check the front hubs, it probably stripped the splines in the center of the hub. Sort of a common problem with these especially if the nut is the least bit loose or the cone washer is worn.

+1

or possibly a CV axle joint.

Not exactly common, but far more common than anything in the front diff failing.

Edited by Numbchux

• 3 weeks later...

In the end it was a damaged shifting fork. Many dollars later I have it back repaired and it probably drives like it's nearly new - which isn't as good as maybe I had hoped it would be. A 35 years old car is still 35 years old no matter how good the o/haul was.

• 10 months later...

Shifting fork is the bottom end of the gear shifter (top end has gear-knob). When you move through the knob to select a gear you are levering the fork and shifting the gears in the gearbox. If the fork breaks off then it won't shift gear. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure why it still works in 4WD... the fix requires opening the gearbox unfortunately. Lots of labour, very expensive.

Hello. Im having the same problem with my 82 BRAT DL single range 4wd. I backed out of a parking space and went to go forward and then i heard the same grinding/ whirring noise. now my car will only move in 4wd. what exactly is a shifting fork?

Yours will be a stripped hub or broken front CV joint.

Moving only in 4wd is the big clue.

Well I'll be damned. Put her in gear and set the parking brake then got out and looked around to see if i could see or hear anything. First thing i see is the front drivers side axle and castle nut just spinning around inside the hub not making a noise. I dont know how the spindle could sheer so cleanly but i cant wait to see what it looks like when i take it apart. I thought y'all were crazy when you said the spline might have sheered but i guess ive seen it all now!

Edited by TIMBERTIGER