Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 in an EA82 car, can it be done?

OK, here’s my dream … RX6 TT (twin turbo), just imagine the 2.7 with two EA82 turbos, and a WRX IC (making use of the twin inlets :brow: ), probably use EA82T pistons and regrind the cams to turbo spec, should be good for 175hp at least.

I was looking under the hood of the RX the other day and I think there could be a way but I would want it to look pretty stock. If I switch the front trim out for the DL stuff and remove the inner lights I think the radiator could be moved well forward. There is certainly room to set the engine/trans back in the car, but it would put quite a bit of angle on the axels, they might even need to be a bit longer. The real trouble with this is that you would have to limit the angle of the inside wheel at full lock not to toast the outer CV. Shift linkage would need to be rearranged a bit too.

How much longer is the ER27 than the EA82? I’d guess about 5” or so. I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy but if it were easy everybody would do it, right? I know many will say just go with the EJ, but that misses the point, the idea is to build a car that could-have-been, kinda like the factory specials that Detroit did in the ‘60s.

And a mans gotta have a dream:banana:

Gary

Well, I know they work in XTs.

*snicker*

Hey, it's been done in a brat, why not in an EA82? EA82 compartments have more space than EA81s, so I say it wouldn't be AS difficult, but still a little hard.

I say go for it. Different is good. Different is way good.

• 2 weeks later...
This may seem like a dumb question but bear w/ me, where would one get an ER27? What model sube do they come stock in? Just wondering
XT6. It came with a 2.7 Litre 6 cyl boxer engine.

Subarubrat has one in his Brat so I'd say it fits in an EA82 also!

should be good for 175hp at least.

Stock ER27 is around 140.. with two turbos you better get more than 175.. SubaruBrats pulls about 250 and its still N/A.....Lots of work and $$

Let me be the first to say ... go with an EJ;)

Yes it can be done, and it may not be the best way to go. Here are my experiences and suggestions:

IF you went ER27T I would suggest single turbo, much simpler and room is already at a premium. With the right pistons and internals I would suggest holding off at 240~260. I tried to push more than that and had some issues. 250 seems to be the magic number (this is all motor and yes some things are different)

If you are dead set on the TT setup you could replicate my XT6TT. The XT6 already has a nice big bay with the length you need. The EG33 will fit nicely in ahead of it's "natural" position allowing for the pipes to clear. I ran two VF10s modified with thunderbird compressors and fed the TBs seperatly. FORGET about the stock ECU, you will need an aftermarket stand alone. Expect brutal performance but expect to spend about 10gs for the engine/ECU etc. At least half that again for chassis/suspension/brakes.

If you are just after the power, I would suggest going with the WRX front clip and some basic aftermarket parts. You will get your goals met, and be able to upgrade to the WRX radiator/AC/front suspension-brakes/ all manner of good stuff if you take the time. The weight will be lower and your total cost will be around 2~5gs depending on power goals.

All of this said, I understand the because I want to principle. I went with the ER27 in the BRAT for several reasons. First it mated to the Dual range tranny and gave me the power yeilds I wanted. But close behind that was the fact that it looks good, sounds good, and because I wanted to in part because people said it wasn't posible or practical.