Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello fellow Scoob owners!

I'll cut to the chase:

Impreza, 2.5i 2007 Sedan 150,000 miles.

When I drive hard (ie hold revs to roughly 4000rpm), something will happen whereby when i begin to slowdown, or reduce revs, it begins to overheat, (even if i idle even when in motion). Maybe I'm being a little specific here, but it will begin to overheat. 

I got home and felt the lower rad hose (by the thermo) and it was cold. I then bled the system of air after and everything seems to be ok until I repeat the action again. 

The head gasket has been recently changed with all new seals and gaskets, along with thermostat and rad cap. I'm completely at a miss here, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure theres no air in the cooling system.

Monitor how much fluid loss is happening.

I always try to determine if it’s overheating related to low coolant level or something else.

Who did the headgaskets and what brand gasket was used?

What’s the story of the car - car that you’ve known for years and never overheated before or a well used and unknown Craigslist’s special you bought yesterday?

• Like 1

I've checked the thermostat and the water pump is brand new. I'm mostly concerned about the lower pipe going from the thermo to the rad being cold until i bleed it. How would a clogged rad effect this? (Im just trying to get a handle on this before switching part out).

Elite Master: I've owned the car for 2.5 years now. I'll monitor any coolant loss, but i don't think there is any. The gaskets were changed by a local garage - i'll find out the brand used.

Edited by jonesyb84

Update: I got the old thermostat out, and yes, it was an aftermarket version. Also, the person who had been there before had placed the air bleed valve at the '9 o'clock' position rather than 12. It all seems to be good so far with an OEM thermo fitted correctly, but i really havnt had the chance to take the motor on a longer more strenuous trip yet.....I'll report back. 

• Like 2

Wow, someone else from Omaha on here!?

Give me a call at my shop, Russ' Garage, if you need us to take a look at it. 402-681-5128.

I won't be able to offer much help this week though as we're a 1 man show (me) due to a family emergency. 

• Like 2

Make 100% sure all the air is bled out of the system. These newer ones with the vertical intake runners after the throttle body seem to be a little bit more difficult to bleed than the earlier ones. Make sure the overflow bottle hose is not clogged and the bottle isn't full of crud at the bottom. I also make it a habit to trim the bottom of the hose at a 45 degree angle so the hose can't suck itself to the bottom of the bottle (there was a tsb about this and at some point Subaru changed the hose to have the angle in it) Also verify that the coolant level in it is rising and falling as the coolant heats up and cools back down.

Jim

• Like 2

I hate it when threads have no ending, so here's the conclusion:

Took her out on a long run and all good. OEM thermo and correct installation did the trick. Obviously the water wasn't able to get through the small gap in the aftermarket thermo and it probably wasn't completely bled of air.  Thank you everyone! Now off to the next job ;)

• Like 2