Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leak coming from water pump? 2004 Forester

At a glance it appeared my non-turbo SOHC 2.5 had been leaking antifreeze from the water pump. I installed a new pump but I still have the leak coming from somewhere above the pump. Could it possibly be the notorious external HG coolant leak that 04 Subaru 2.5L are known for?  What is the fastest way to pinpoint the origin of the leak without pulling the intake off? ughh.

9 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

04's do not leak coolant from the HG's. 

ah er o.k. Always thought all of them from 2000 up to about 2008 had that issue? I guess that's what I get for thinking? The last time I was thinking I put a heli coil in a tensioner bracket. quack.

Edited by darsdoug

Yes that's how we do it. 1/2" glass and this is the cloth we use.

https://www.amazon.com/INDUSTRIES-4245-Emery-9-Inch-11-Inch/dp/B000BPNMZ4

We do a 2 step process - we rough both heads down with the new sheet, then we go back over both a second time with the "used" sheet. The grit of the cloth shears down and becomes finer leaving a smoother surface. I check the flatness with a granite surface plate, a machinists straight edge, and then the surface finish with an Ra meter. Ultimately my surface finish is comparable to what my cylinder head shop produces with their CBN flycutter. It's faster for us as there is no wait time for the machine shop and no drop-of/delivery. It's easier to just do it ourselves. 

GD

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whynot said:

so are you saying that I can use a 642 or 670 on a 99 outback with a 2.5L?

I did not say that. The 642 and 770 gaskets can be used on the SOHC EJ engines from 99 to 2012. 

They cannot be directly used on the 96 to 99 DOHC engines without changing the pistons. If you use 99 to 05 pistons you can then use the 642 or 770. Otherwise you absolutely cannot use them as the DOHC pistons will hit the chamber.

GD

• 3 weeks later...