Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted before about this and there seemed to be a little confusion on whether I can or can not replace the rod bearings without splitting the block in half.  Something about not being able to access #1 rod bolts.

I did an oil change and after the oil sat for 2 days til I poured it out to be recycled, copper had settled to the bottom of the catch pan.  Amazingly the knock is almost difficult to hear.  If I could get to all the bearings would it be a waste without a new/ground crank?

3 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

There's no confusion about whether you need to split the block to get at all the rod bearings.  You do.

Thanks.  I guess it would just be a matter of luck dropping the pan and seeing if I can access the offending rod.  Which one is not accessible?  And is it possible to narrow down which cylinder it is by pulling plug wires one at a time?

Someone who does this all the time (like GD) would be able to answer, but I can't remember at the moment whether it's the front- or rear-most bearing.  If someone previously said #1, that's as good an answer as any.  And pulling the plug wire isn't going to affect whether that bearing is spinning loose.  Regardless of whether the offending cylinder is firing, the others are going to drag that piston around.  Doesn't take that long for this action to grind the crank out of usable spec, either (been there).  So get a look at it asap.  If you lift the engine just a little (at least, this is how it is in my '99 OBW) you can wiggle the pan out and at least get a peek up at the crank.

Edited by jonathan909

If you have rod knock throwing a bearing at the offending cylinder is not likely to resolve your issue long term.  People with more knowledge than me generally advise newbies to not split blocks.  When I had the same issue I ended up putting in a JDM engine and it was probably easier than trying to split the block.  If the crankshaft journal needs to be reworked you will have to split the block to get the crankshaft out.  I believe that many don't rework a crankshaft but simply install a new one, that would involve splitting the block.

It doesn't work like that. The crank will be trashed besides. We never reuse cranks. 100% new replacement. 

DO NOT split the block. The skills required to be successful at it are hard won. Without hands on training the first time is sure to be a total failure. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It doesn't work like that. The crank will be trashed besides. We never reuse cranks. 100% new replacement. 

DO NOT split the block. The skills required to be successful at it are hard won. Without hands on training the first time is sure to be a total failure. 

GD

I don't know.  Everyones gotta start somewhere.  It was a PITA, but my first subaru full engine rebuild was "successful"   The engine is still running great in an EJ'd EA81 wheeler with lift and 30"s after 11 years now.

The only big, weird, task in splitting the block is removing/installing wrist pins.  That takes some experience to make go smoothly, but it's not magic.  It doesn't require an ASE cert or an Engineering degree.  

Mostly it just requires a good work table in a clean shop and a slide hammer.  I use a battery hold down "j" bolt with the end modified to make a hook to grab the pins and attached it to my slide hammer.

Everything else is just simple bolts and a ring compressor to reinstall the pistons.

But for sure......Bearings cannot be changed on an EJ(or EA) motor without splitting the cases.

• Like 1