Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My outback is saying misfire on cylinder 3 & 4. Shop says try unplugging MAF sensor while acting up, and that will tell me if that's the problem. Can't find it for the life of me. They sell MAF sensors for this year, but I see in various forums that there is no MAF sensor in this model. Please help. I've found the MAP sensor. I also replaced plugs and wires. Going to replace coil pack next.

NGK on the plugs/wires? Not sure if the '04 were as picky as the earlier models...but why tempt the fates.

2000-2004 Outback had NO MAF, so you're not blind. :-)

It's an EJ251 vs EJ253 thing (kinda)

Only the turbocharged models had a MAF in '04  - STI, WRX, FXT, Baja turbo...IIRC.

• Like 1

Well, got the cylinder 3&4 misfire gone. Cleaned the PCV valve. But now, flashing AT oil temp light. I had unplugged all the sensors around where I was told the MAF was, looking for it. Cleaned the connections with electrical connector cleaning spray and plugged back in. Now the flashing light that won’t quit. Flashes once per second. No CEL. 

You've got a code stored in the TCM / TCU /  AT computer. You'll  need to search on here about how to read the TCM - AT computer - codes. May be under "secret handshake" .  Yes, seriously.

On the pre-'99 models it was a series of steps that would then cause the AT temp light to flash the stored code. Repeat - the flashing tells you there's a code(s) stored but not what the issue is. We can't help until you get the actual code. Or you find what needs reconnected??

Edited by wtdash