Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i believe i know the issue but not sure if i can fix it. the replacement transmission came from a legacy. the legacy used 205 55 r16 and the outback uses 215 60 r16. how does the car know what the speed is from the transmission is it as simple as swapping the speed sensor from the old transmission or is it some small gear inside the transmission?

sirtokesalot,

Before you get too excited at the indicated speed vs actual speed, borrow a friend's Garmin GPS, throw it on the dash and take a short trip over various speeds to see how the speedometer reads when compared to the GPS indicated speed.

My 2017 OBW runs 245/50/19's stock  in summer and 215/60/17's on its winter tires (winter wheels and tires held over from my previous 2012 OBW). At 83 kmph (50 mph) speedometer indication, the Garmin GPS reads 80 kmph (52 mph). Similarly at 100 kmph (60 mph) the difference isn't much more.

Try my suggestion and see if the difference is enough to warrant changing anything around. Myself, I just am aware that with my winter tires on I'm actually going 3 or 4 kmph slower that what the speedometer reads, so I up my speed accordingly so I don't cause a road rager behind me.

• Haha 1

i have a gps and can confirm in saying that 25 mph is 22 on speedo 50 on gps is 45 on speedo  70 is 63

3 hours ago, gbhrps said:

sirtokesalot,

Before you get too excited at the indicated speed vs actual speed, borrow a friend's Garmin GPS, throw it on the dash and take a short trip over various speeds to see how the speedometer reads when compared to the GPS indicated speed.

My 2017 OBW runs 245/50/19's stock  in summer and 215/60/17's on its winter tires (winter wheels and tires held over from my previous 2012 OBW). At 83 kmph (50 mph) speedometer indication, the Garmin GPS reads 80 kmph (52 mph). Similarly at 100 kmph (60 mph) the difference isn't much more.

Try my suggestion and see if the difference is enough to warrant changing anything around. Myself, I just am aware that with my winter tires on I'm actually going 3 or 4 kmph slower that what the speedometer reads, so I up my speed accordingly so I don't cause a road rager behind me.

It won’t be the speed sensor, it will be the little drive gear in the gearbox. This means a gearbox split to swap it to the outback spec drive gear. 

You should be able to install and calibrate a vehicle speed sensor modifier/adjuster unit. It will require some wiring action and some calibration work when driving on the road. You will need a second person to complete this calibration. 

What you have is opposite to what gbhrps talks about, and that setup is dangerous in my opinion. It’ll be speed ticket bait too! 

Cheers 

Bennie

12 hours ago, el_freddo said:

It won’t be the speed sensor, it will be the little drive gear in the gearbox. This means a gearbox split to swap it to the outback spec drive gear. 

You should be able to install and calibrate a vehicle speed sensor modifier/adjuster unit. It will require some wiring action and some calibration work when driving on the road. You will need a second person to complete this calibration. 

What you have is opposite to what gbhrps talks about, and that setup is dangerous in my opinion. It’ll be speed ticket bait too! 

Cheers 

Bennie

i dident know a vehicle speed sensor modifier/adjuster unit was a thing. how would one go about doing this to an outback? im not splitting the transmission to swap that gear id leave it as is and use the gps for my speedo before i did that but would like to make it read more accurate if possible

Edited by sirtokesalot

Auto, you should be able to pull the speedo drive gear and swap from what I understand of auto boxes. The sensor will be on the front diff housing as opposed to the manual box that has it midway down the side of the gearbox on the front half case. 

There might be an easy fix to this after all. Got the old box to pull the speedo drive cable from? 

Also - have you confirmed that this box is the same diff ratio as your old one? If there’s a ratio swap you’ll need to swap the rear diff too!

Cheers 

Bennie

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Auto, you should be able to pull the speedo drive gear and swap from what I understand of auto boxes. The sensor will be on the front diff housing as opposed to the manual box that has it midway down the side of the gearbox on the front half case. 

There might be an easy fix to this after all. Got the old box to pull the speedo drive cable from? 

Also - have you confirmed that this box is the same diff ratio as your old one? If there’s a ratio swap you’ll need to swap the rear diff too!

Cheers 

Bennie

i do still have the old trans the new one is the same 4.44 ratio as the original one it just came from a legacy vs an outback. how would one get this speedo drive gear out without taking the trans apart?

50 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

i do still have the old trans the new one is the same 4.44 ratio as the original one it just came from a legacy vs an outback. how would one get this speedo drive gear out without taking the trans apart?

pull the retaining plate on the passengers side and see if there's a way to get the plastic drive gear bits out.  if you need to reuse that front diff, mark the retaining ring location and number of turns to remove it so you can reinstall it in the same position.