Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sometimes runs

I have posted on here before about this car and this problem. I have new information and new developments.

Here is the history; my 1987 Subaru GL died on me, while driving, and wouldn't start again. Since then It has started on occasion but not easily and runs rough for a bit before smoothing out. When it does run there is no telling how long it will run for or if it will start again when its shut off. About 3 weeks ago it started and died shortly after only to start again and run and drive for over an hour, until I shut it off. The next day it wouldn't start again. I started looking at it again today and I was able to get it started with the help of some starter fluid but it wouldn't keep running without me constantly pumping the gas. After keeping it running for a few minutes there was smoke coming up through the handbrake housing. After shutting it down I looked underneath and the exhaust was glowing red from the manifold back to about the rear axles.

What I have done in the past is changed out the ignition switch, checked the distributor, coil, MAF, injector and fuel pressure. All have checked out good. With todays events I checked the spark plugs and found that they have excessive carbon deposits. So that in combination with the red hot exhaust, and hard to start makes me think that atleast one of the problems is rich air fuel mixture. I think this is controlled by the airflow meter. I will be checking this tomorrow.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

The running poorly makes me think CTS.  These can fail in ways that cause all sorts of driveability issues, no CEL / codes.  Especially if you notice a correlation with engine temperature.  I had one get intermittent - it was as if the choke was closed sometimes, or open others.  Choked when hot, runs bad.  Open when cold makes for very hard to start.  The CTS can be tested with an ohm meter, and a pan of water, or hot air gun and a thermometer that can read to 200 degrees F.

The shutting off - could be the IAC.  It ran fine, as long as I didn't take my foot all the way off the gas.  Turned out to be the wire to it was broken inside the insulation.  I had to unwrap the engine harness to find it.

The wiring to either of these also can cause these problems.

I had one with a fuel pressure regulator get really erratic on me.  Absolutely no power trying to travel, even at 30MPH.  Would die.  Staring was iffy.  But it would also kick in for a while and be ok.

Those are some things to look at...

You say MAF so it’s a GL Wagon, not a GL (which is a hatch, EA81 and carbureted), is that right?

Any Check engine light?

Either the exhaust is clogged or as you said it’s very rich. Drop exhaust at engine to check that, though that doesn’t seem like it would be intermittent and plugs suggest running rich.  

On 2/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, makermk said:

It has started on occasion but not easily and runs rough for a bit before smoothing out. When it does run there is no telling how long it will run for or if it will start again when its shut off

On 2/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, makermk said:

I was able to get it started with the help of some starter fluid

These statements lead me to think your fuel pump is going out.  Intermittent starting, rough running, runs with starter fluid are all signs of a failing fuel pump or a clogged fuel system.

" exhaust was glowing red from the manifold back to about the rear axles "

This sounds like a clogged exhaust system.  You've got more than one problem going on which makes it hard to diagnose.  I would check the exhaust system from front to back to make sure it is clear before doing anything else.

Edited by Dee2

Is the catalytic converter still in there?  I had a Dodge van where the catalytic converters melted and cluged the exhaust making to much back pressure and it won’t start and if it did it would run really ruff 

im not sure why it melted but it runs now