Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips to Separate 85-86 EA82 Bumper & Bumper Skin

I've got an idea I want to investigate, but was wondering if anyone had any experience removing the bumper skin from the early EA82 front or rear bumpers.  There are brackets bolted in the corners little clips on the skin that match up to cutouts on the bumper frame, but I would need 12 arms to compress all the clips at once.  My only EA82 FSM is for the 1987 model year, so not helpful on the early bumpers.

Thanks!

I can see the clips on the back side of the bumper but I only have two hands and there are somewhere around 15 clips that all feel like they'd need to be released at the same time for the skin to peel away.  Hard to get that many hands in one place during a pandemic! :D

Hoping the early EA82 FSM provides some hints.

Do you meant the bolts holding the corner brackets to the bumper frame?  Luckily those weren't rusty, but the plastic clips from the bumper skin the secure it to the steel frame, there are so many of them and they all seem to need to release at the same time...

Still haven’t found the manuals.

Maybe have some little wedges to support the skin as you go alone from one end to the other releasing the clips and stuffing a wedge in there to keep it from seating itself back in ? 

• Like 1