Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Subaru Loyale wagon 4wd

Hello....just picked up a '91 Subaru Loyale wagon 4WD a few months ago. 124K original miles. Loaded car with pw/pdl cold ac...never owned a Subaru...but this car is sweet. 3 speed automatic.. I'm considering doing a 5 speed conversion on it. I've found a transmission but I need to know what else I would need (crossmember.. pedals..etc...plus..does the instrument cluster change so I wouldn't need the PDRNL?)..ALSO...what years are compatible for donor parts? I know they made the Loyale from 90-94...but I'm reading some earlier versions of that body will work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

That is an EA82 body, which started in 1985, you have to be a bit careful, because the Brats and hatchbacks carried EA81 body until 1987 in the US. Generally, EA82 stuff is all the same, although the crossmember will have to be 1987.5+.

Yep, you'll need the crossmember under the transmission, driveshaft, starter, flywheel, clutch, shift linkage, center console/shift boot (the Loyales didn't have a console, just a boot on the floor, where the GLs had a console), clutch cable. Speedometer cable is a different length, but I think the AT one is longer, so you can just use it.

If your new transmission is a push button 4WD, you'll need the vacuum hoses and solenoids for those, and you'll need to run some wires to make that all work.

The gauge cluster requires considerable rewiring....don't bother.

Most 5MT 4WD EA82 transmissions use a 3.9 rear diff, I think your 3AT will use a 3.7, should be a sticker right on it, though. You'll want to verify what's in it, and your donor and make sure they match.

On the off chance your donor transmission is from a turbo car, it'll be 3.7 and require 25 spline axles, so you'd need turbo axles.

If you're going to bother, get a dual-range 4WD transmission from a 87-89 GL.

Nice find. I had an '86 GL wagon, as stated above also the EA82 body. IMO an attractive design to this day. Being a 91 Loyale I would have thought this would be appropriate for the 1990+ forum where it was originally posted. I think in the 90s the EA82s were called Loyales, not GLs. Mine was a 5 speed manual with a manual 4WD shift on the floor, but I don't recall if it was dual range. I really liked that car. Good choice IMO wanting to covert to a 5 speed manual. If that 3 speed auto is geared similar to my first Subaru, a 1980 DL - you'd be doing maybe close to 3,300 rpm on the highway. I don't know how much as that car had no tach.

Congrats and good luck on the project.

21 hours ago, Numbchux said:

That is an EA82 body, which started in 1985, you have to be a bit careful, because the Brats and hatchbacks carried EA81 body until 1987 in the US. Generally, EA82 stuff is all the same, although the crossmember will have to be 1987.5+.

Yep, you'll need the crossmember under the transmission, driveshaft, starter, flywheel, clutch, shift linkage, center console/shift boot (the Loyales didn't have a console, just a boot on the floor, where the GLs had a console), clutch cable. Speedometer cable is a different length, but I think the AT one is longer, so you can just use it.

If your new transmission is a push button 4WD, you'll need the vacuum hoses and solenoids for those, and you'll need to run some wires to make that all work.

The gauge cluster requires considerable rewiring....don't bother.

Most 5MT 4WD EA82 transmissions use a 3.9 rear diff, I think your 3AT will use a 3.7, should be a sticker right on it, though. You'll want to verify what's in it, and your donor and make sure they match.

On the off chance your donor transmission is from a turbo car, it'll be 3.7 and require 25 spline axles, so you'd need turbo axles.

If you're going to bother, get a dual-range 4WD transmission from a 87-89 GL.

Thanks...I wouldnt mind the dual range tranny. That would be sweet..any leads on something like that?

Found a salvage yard in california that will ship..car is complete. 98K miles. I has the shifter/dual range shifter (89 GL wagon)...etc....what components for that vehicle are the same as the 90-94 loyale 5 speed (crossmember/pedals etc)...I'll get from him what I cant get here and I can get a dual range tranny here for 150. Thanks

2 hours ago, primosoup said:

Found a salvage yard in california that will ship..car is complete. 98K miles. I has the shifter/dual range shifter (89 GL wagon)...etc....what components for that vehicle are the same as the 90-94 loyale 5 speed (crossmember/pedals etc)...I'll get from him what I cant get here and I can get a dual range tranny here for 150. Thanks

Everything you need can come from that car.

OK..last question Numbchux...

I'm not sure how to reply on my post..duh...wanted to ask you...I'm thinking this is what I need from the california donor car:

1. Crossmember

2. pedals

3 flywheel

4. shifter/console (yes..they have one and its nice!)

5. clutch cable

6. you said starter in a response above...so I need the starter too? and the driveshaft?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by primosoup

Rear diff to be sure you got the matching rear ratio to the gearbox. Drive shafts will be the same in the rear.

Prop/tail shaft (I can’t remember, but do suspect they’re a different length). 

Clutch would be good too unless you’re getting a new unit. 

If the donor is MPFI (did the US get MPFI?)  get the driveshafts too as these will have 25 splines on the diff output stub axles. 

All the best with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

14 hours ago, primosoup said:

OK..last question Numbchux...

I'm not sure how to reply on my post..duh...wanted to ask you...I'm thinking this is what I need from the california donor car:

1. Crossmember

2. pedals

3 flywheel

4. shifter/console (yes..they have one and its nice!)

5. clutch cable

6. you said starter in a response above...so I need the starter too? and the driveshaft?

Thanks for your help.

Check the gear ratios, in case you need the rear diff.

Yes, starter is different. Flywheel bolts are longer, too, although those are the same as EJ, probably can get them right from Subaru.

Front half of the drive shaft, at least. Though, if you separate the halves, you should rebalance the assembly. Easiest to just grab the whole thing.

That should be it off the top of my head (grain of salt, the 3AT->5MT swap I did was about 15 years ago).

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

If the donor is MPFI (did the US get MPFI?)  get the driveshafts too as these will have 25 splines on the diff output stub axles. 

Only MPFI in that vintage was a turbo. And only Turbo/dual range combo was the RX Coupe. Fairly safe bet that GL Wagon isn't. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, newmexguy said:

Have an '89 Wagon 1.8L 5 speed 4 x 4 that I will need to get off my property soon.  And I am 900 + plus miles closer.  Many extra parts could go with it.  Southern New Mexico metal.  

Dave S  dona Ana NM  88032

is it a dual range? How much do u want for it?