Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Outback for friend

I have a friend looking for a reliable car, I have recommended Subarus as low maintenance.   I am going to check out this one tomorrow in the low $2Ks, what questions should I ask?

2004 Subaru Forester AWD auto 165k miles runs looks great cold a/c. 

I'm thinking Subaru is going to be the most reliable for Sam.  He has had two cars, a Ford Focus and a VW 4 door fail on him in the last couple years.  For low maintenance is this a good way to go?

Edited by ThosL

I don't think of Subarus as being low-maintenance.

It's more a case of easy- (or at least easier-) maintenance than other makes.

Just because other makes don't recommend a lot of maintenance, that doesn't mean that parts won't fail.

Yes Subarus can live for a long time, but they do require maintenance, but this is made easier for the do-it-yourselfers.

• Like 2

maintenance history is top priority..

timing - did the whole job get done (ie pulleys, tensioner, water pump, etc) or just the belt? and when?

oil changes done on time?

any history of overheating?

headgaskets ever been done? if so, when?

Personally - and this is my thing - any new to me vehicle that I dont have a complete maintenance history automatically gets a full timing service, oil change, radiator flush & fill, new NGK plugs, wires if needed (also NGK) and all other fluids checked/changed as needed right off the bat.

I then check brakes - condition and wear and replace as needed.

Tires are another thing to check.. all the same brand, size, etc.. wear and condition?

• Like 1

Head gasket external leakage is another thing to check. 

We got a 2003 forester with unknown history. Swapped HGs for the MLS units as a precaution and so we know it won’t be an issue we have to deal with in the short term. Valve stem seals were done at the same time. 

Well worth the effort of putting the time and effort in when the car is new to you - then the “servicing” doesn’t have to happen randomly when needed - just at the appropriate intervals for the usual oil and filter changes with a general inspection to ensure there are no other issues to attend to (eg split cv boot). 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

I drove up there this morning and the address was near a bunch of used car and body shops, etc..  I called the guy who had said for me to stop by after 10am, and he said his brother sold it yesterday!  No call or email.  I told him he was very rude and unethical the way he was running this vehicle for sale, he said "we're Jewish that's how we do business".  Unbelievable.  Last time I looked at a Subaru in Bridgeport it turned out being one that had been flipped from someone who worked at Sikorski they paid $1200 put some head gasket sealer in and sold for $3000!  

I like to buy them cheap with a bad trans or engine and then start from scratch with new head-gaskets, timing belt, idlers, water pump,etc or trans drain and fill, or clutch , all fluids changed, whatever it needs and then drive it.  That way, you don't end upside down on it.     

Anything AWD in New England that is 17 years old is likely to have a lot of rot. And as cars go the Forester isn't bad on reliability, but it's far from the best - they had head gasket issues and I've seen plenty with failed engines since that era had really small oil pumps. If your friend wants something cheap that will be really hard to kill find him a Corolla from out west.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1