Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking Sound When Turning and Hitting Bump

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2014 Forester 2.5i that has recently started clunking if I hit a bump while turning. It is most prominent when turning left and hitting a bump with the passenger front tire. The noise comes from the passenger front tire as well.

Tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, and the passenger wheel bearing were recently replaced. The clunk did not appear right after the work, rather a couple thousand miles later.  I checked to make sure everything was still tight and it is. There is no play in the steering wheel or tire.

I did notice that the coil ionthe strut is shifted about 1/4 inch from the stop on the spring perch. I can't iimaginethis would be an issue, but I suppose it's possible.

There is no abnormal tire wear

Thoughts?

Edited by Daskuppler

1 hour ago, lmdew said:

Re torque the top strut bolt going up throught the top mount.

Did you do the work or a shop?  If it was a shop, I'd take it back to them and see what they have to say.

I did the work. I'll check the to bolts, they looked good but I'm give them a good crank

1 minute ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

also, check antisway bar mounts.

I forgot to mention I replaced those as well. They still looked right, I'll throw a wrench on them though.

5 hours ago, Daskuppler said:

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2014 Forester 2.5i that has recently started clunking if I hit a bump while turning. It is most prominent when turning left and hitting a bump with the passenger front tire. The noise comes from the passenger front tire as well.

Tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, and the passenger wheel bearing were recently replaced. The clunk did not appear right after the work, rather a couple thousand miles later.  I checked to make sure everything was still tight and it is. There is no play in the steering wheel or tire.

I did notice that the coil ionthe strut is shifted about 1/4 inch from the stop on the spring perch. I can't iimaginethis would be an issue, but I suppose it's possible.

There is no abnormal tire wear

Thoughts?

I've had a similar noise on both of my subies, and I've been told by multiple people including an ASE certified mechanic that it's most likely the swaybar endlinks; but honestly I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet as I have far more important issues to resolve at the moment.

2 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Clunking is usually sway links or bushings. But something is shifting. Get under there with a pry bar and find it.

What brand suspension parts were used?

The struts are KYB. Ball joints, true rod ends, and wheel bearing are Moog. The end links be are mevotech.

I'll get a pry bar on it tomorrow if it's not too cold lol