Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I do this, 2002 WRX into a 1994 Legacy L.... Problems to overcome.

I know I have been silent for quite a while. Mostly due to life things, and motors loosing oil pressure in annoying places. Ahhh nothing like routine maintenance in exotic locations. All funny stuff aside, including getting all of my cars out of CA finally. Well I have come to a crossroads with two cars in particular.

One of these cars is my 1994 Legacy. It has allot of miles on it but is relatively fresh. When I mean allot of miles, I mean 328K on the clock. The gearbox is due for replacement and the engine is getting worn. I need to re-power it with something a bit more fun. I have wanted to build a frankenmotor for it with a spare EJ25 I have, and drop in a fresh trans, but…

In corner number two, and going to the chop shop regardless of what I decide. Is a 2002 WRX that has been the salt commuter. It’s rusty but can live for a few more years with good care. Know it’ll make someone cry to get rid of a bugeye WRX sportwagon, but this one has served well and deserves to live on.

I’d really love to swap the WRX drivetrain into the Legacy. I have the pedal box to go from cable to hydro clutch solved. Wiring is a non issue. Shift linkages, bla bla bla.. Body shop for a hood scoop. Yes all these things I pretty much have no issues with. If anyone has experience or input, I’d be happy to hear.

But my main problems are:

1) What crossmember should I run? Do I need to consider the turbo oil pan for clearances, and if so might it cause me to change the rack?

2) Swapping the rear diff. Going from 4.11 to 3.90, it will need it. It should bolt in directly, but will I need custom axles? I think I can run the WRX rear axles and maybe hubs in a pinch.

I am still in the process of acquiring the WRX to at least flog around for a while, but any gotcha’s anyone can see me running into that I haven’t considered?

So far, I have found a handful of swaps done into other stuff, even one SS. But very scant info. Mostly WRX into early Impreza stuff.

Any info is helpful.

You need to look around at other forums, lots of information on this sort of swap from the likes of rslibertyclub.org or Subyclub.com and possibly some on Ausubaru.com.au 

All of the above are Oz based sites but the info should be basically the same for what you’re seeking. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Yep, you'll need a turbo crossmember and sway bar to clear the up-pipe (not the oil pan). Steering rack is the same.

Turbo legacy is a direct swap, of course.

The GG one can be used, but the tabs where the control arms meet the crossmember are a bit wider, so you'll have to shim them for the older gen arms. Not a big deal.

If your Legacy does not have an LSD (I think only the Turbo's did), you should be able to just use those axles. Otherwise you can use the GG rear axles (note, the GD [sedan] axles are too long for the narrower Legacy chassis), the only thing to watch for there, is ABS tone wheel. But I think on the Legacy (if it even has ABS) that would be bolted to the hub, not pressed onto the outer CV cup.