Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Legacy automatic trouble

Low mile car. Bought from folks we had seen every day. Well kept , etc etc only 109k right now maybe 110k. It’s the nicest looking one of these around. LSi I think it is. 

Can move the car around the parking lot carefully. But not taking it in the road as is. I want to say the Big Bang and real issue occurred fairly close to home so I limped it back alive. Since then only moving it a couple times in our lot. 

It will engage in drive after a few seconds maybe but it’s not the old slipping transmission. There was noise leading up kind of like the U joint on the prop shaft like I had go wrong on our other 2003 but a wagon. So I was abusing it now looking back. Kept it local and have AAA Plus. 

When it is put in drive it’ll eventually drive the car forward with a jolt and doesn’t do well on inclines like a worn clutch. This is an automatic. But I somehow manage to get it up small inclines. 

It will make some noises as it rolls but what really stood out was the latest moves it would make a loud metal ratcheting sound when I put it into Park.

I shut it down fast and then restarted to see if it was still going to ratchet and it did not. Just started and idled nicely. 

I recall recently changing a front axle and didn’t like that there was a considerable amount of movement at the stub axle going into the box. 

Thanks for any help. 

Ahh but the car sits so low and before anything Jesse advised me it’ll be super difficult from the ground to see if it was the same issue as our other 2003. 

Can’t really do much here at home. 
Life as a condo owner so doing all that fun stuff here at home is risky. Jesse is busy so that car will either have to go to some shop I’m not friends with or find a location I can do my own thing. Last year we had a family property with a garage. This year “un cazzo” , my friend moved , etc etc So some shop may get my money. Not that I don’t like supporting small businesses. 

F&S shows at least two transmissions. One for $200 and one for $2k that’s a rebuild. Since I got a super deal on this car and it’s still looking so sweet I’m willing to fork the dough. Just don’t have time and space. I’m already pushing things here with my 79 wagon. 

Should have sold this place months ago. 

Yes , I agree and had thought about the parking lock out with the ratcheting. Yes it does want to roll back in park. 

Will check all that in a bit. Thanks ! 

There was a torn axle boot and I replaced that axle. But that side had what I consider excessive movement at the stub. 

Parking pawl sounds like we’re on to something. I also have a recall for the airbags. Something I need to look into that I had no idea of - the parking pall issue. 

Thanks again. 

It’s quiet here now and parking spaces are more abundant so I’ll take the car around the lot and try to give a better report. 

Edited by moosens

Live report! Start car - no dashboard lights at all and engine sounds fine and not other noises at all. 

Put into drive and hear noise. Different kind of noise. Rolls back until I gas it some. Engaged fine and idle went up a tad. If I don’t gas it it will roll back. Car goes forward but begins to slip very soon while on a slight incline. Still in AWD at this time. It will now drive around the lot fairly well at times. But it clunks into function. Now the AT oil temp light is flashing quickly. Car slips then clunks into function in drive. It will reverse but acts about the same with slipping some until engaging with a thump. 

Eeek , just put it into park and glad no neighbors are around to hear that ratcheting noise. Last a couple seconds. Has to be the pawl. 

Going to run errands and maybe get back later. 

If the tranny end of the axle has slipped out, you might be able to see it looking down from under the hood.. (no need to jack it up)

Had a sudden issue with my 2002 Forester after an axle swap.. it was apparently not pushed in far enough.. popped out and made an awful racket when i pulled into the local convenience store..
was pretty obvious when i popped the hood and started looking..

if you can get it jacked up to get under it, also make sure to check the shifter cable for any potential issues (rusted ends, bent cable near the end, and/or fatigued cable)

• Like 2

Thanks !!  Heartless that sounds like I could have maybe just maybe forgotten to put the roll pin back in. Crap. I’m hoping I’m wrong. I did two axles recently on two different cars. And my life sucks for sleep and it shows with memory lapses. I can see where maybe I rushed. Praying I’m wrong and praying you’re right at the same time. I don’t mind being a little embarrassed but I don’t like creating more problems while trying to fix one. 

Will give an honest report back soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moosens said:

Thanks !!  Heartless that sounds like I could have maybe just maybe forgotten to put the roll pin back in. Crap. I’m hoping I’m wrong. I did two axles recently on two different cars. And my life sucks for sleep and it shows with memory lapses. I can see where maybe I rushed. Praying I’m wrong and praying you’re right at the same time. I don’t mind being a little embarrassed but I don’t like creating more problems while trying to fix one. 

Will give an honest report back soon. 

i am just grateful i was not the one that did the axle work - that time.. LOL  they had to come get the car, for free, and get it taken care of.

and I completely understand about the lack of sleep and memory issues - oh, boy, do i understand!!

• Like 1

The spring pin was in. I didn’t screw that up. But I shook that drivers side axle at the box and I got about 1/16 travel in and out and about a strong 1/16 to make 3/32 travel in the up and down direction. It didn’t feel any better when I replaced that axle. I tried to push it in and there was no travel inward.

I did a quick check of the passenger side and it seemed very snug. No travel at all best I could tell. 

Still making that ratcheting noise when I put it into park. Sometimes just a buzz (probably that parking pawl just dangling?) and other times it’s loud and stays there unless I shift or shut it down. And at least once or twice it didn’t make any noise. 

Only had a few minutes. 

It continues to roll back down the incline in park. And all symptoms above still persist. See ya soon. 

• 4 months later...

Broken right front axle at the outer end. Not used to this happening.

Yeah I can carry on with reasons/excuses why it takes me so long to get to things like this - sometimes. 

To cover my insecure backside I will say - life gets in the way ! Sound familiar? 
Cheers! 

And I’d like to thank whoever is in charge of the weather this winter. Let me know where to leave a tip. 

Edited by moosens
Info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2