Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many steps to a fully seated torque converter

I struggled with this damn torque converter in this 94 legacy for like an hour. It still doesn't seem fully seated to me (i have the starter bolted up and if I pull the starter gear all the way out, it doesn't reach the ring gear on the torque converter. Also, I can get my fingers behind the torque converter). 

I can get it to slide in once, then twice, and that's it. It seems like it should have one more groove to fall into. 

Starter can be an indicator if it’s working properly and you’re testing when extended as if starting and not just statically putting jt there. The solenoid pushes it out further.

When the engine and trans are bolted together the flex plate and fully seated converter ***will not touch***.  There’s a gap and the TC bolts draw the TC and flex plate together.

Measure the TC distance to trans bell housing and flex plate distance to engine side bell housing. 

it’ll be obvious the engine side measurements can’t show interference with the trans side measurements.  If the flex plate is recessed inside the engine bellhousing 1/2” then the TC can’t protrude more than 1/2” out of the trans bellhousing. If the mating surface on the TC sticks out 3/4” past the trans bell housing then you know it’ll interfere with the engine. Those are made up numbers for reference. 

26 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Starter can be an indicator if it’s working properly and you’re testing when extended as if starting and not just statically putting jt there. The solenoid pushes it out further.

When the engine and trans are bolted together the flex plate and fully seated converter ***will not touch***.  There’s a gap and the TC bolts draw the TC and flex plate together.

Measure the TC distance to trans bell housing and flex plate distance to engine side bell housing. 

it’ll be obvious the engine side measurements can’t show interference with the trans side measurements.  If the flex plate is recessed inside the engine bellhousing 1/2” then the TC can’t protrude more than 1/2” out of the trans bellhousing. If the mating surface on the TC sticks out 3/4” past the trans bell housing then you know it’ll interfere with the engine. Those are made up numbers for reference. 

Yeah I was pulling the starter engagement gear all the way out on it's travel and it wasnt reaching. I'm trying to avoid dropping the engine in and having to take it out yet again. I want to make certain the torque converter is fully seated before I drop it in again. 

I have seated many TC in my day. I have never dealt with this before. Think this is only the second automatic Subaru I've worked on though. 

11 hours ago, l75eya said:

I want to make certain the torque converter is fully seated before I drop it in again. 

Totally get it weve all been there. For certainty measure it like I described. Then it’s real easy to visually see/check/confirm that bell housing difference. 

• Like 1

Got it seated. Turns out the smaller diameter shaft sticking out of the transmission of the two in one style input shaft was the problem. 

It itself wasn't seated properly and was preventing everything from being recessed the way it was all supposed to be. Thanks for all the kind words all. 

• Like 1