Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Koyo and NTN wheel bearing oem grease.

Used to always clean out and replace the factory bearing grease whenever I install new ones.  I've noticed they come in sealed plastic pouches and already greased.  Is this already wheel bearing grease and ready to install?  I'm getting older and lazier these days.  This is for NTN or Koyo press in bearings on earlier subarus.

• Like 1

Also about to install similar. 

For my situation have some 1970’s NOS in their original wax paper wrap with what I expect is more of a protectant coating than a true grease packing. Then I also have later made - 1980’s into 2000’s that vary. Some also look like packed but I expect mostly to survive shelf life coatings. Others completely dry. 

So to me I’m counting on lots of flushing before packing. 

But please let’s hear from the the guys who are far more active than you and I. 

Just to add , I’m also currently doing other newer Subarus. The Koyo we just did was dry for our 2003 Legacy front. Just bought a BCA which is the NTN re-boxed. That’s dry too. 

Edited by moosens

I had similar concerns after reading others' views on the topic - mainly, wash out and use your own choice of grease , and quantity. - of same Koyo bearings and era. I contacted Koyo themselves to ask and they assured me the quality, standard and amount of grease was of the highest standard. I went with this over a year ago with no issues so far. Others prefer not to leave any air space either, and choose to absolutely pack the cavity with their chosen grease to reduce chances of water getting at the bearings. My application hardly sees a damp cloth, let alone a puddle or river crossing. If it did, I may have done the same as others - own choice of grease and lots of it

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:29 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

decades ago, there were concerns that the bearings were just coated to prevent rust and NEEDED to be properly re-packed.

can't remember if that was disproved or not. try a search on the topic? (man I'm getting old)

Exact reasons why I went direct to Koyo Australia technical. They gave me the brand and grade of grease used, and all it's specs. To buy a tub of that grease was about three or four times price of normal bearing brand name grease 500gram tub !

• Like 1