Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all, my 05 STi has a seemingly random intermittent no start issue. I originally thought it was the battery or starter, but I have replaced both and run all new and upsized cable.

Thinking now that it's something with the immobilizer. The cycle the key 3 times reset doesn't seem to affect it. It has full power, but will not crank when this occurs. I was wondering if a new key with a new chip could fix it? I don't know if the chips can become corrupted like a thumb drive? Or if I need a whole new ignition cylinder, which seem to be rather difficult to find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's very nearly left me stranded several times now.

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, SiriusBlack said:

@forester2002sThere is an audible click when they key is turned, however the solenoid was replaced along with the starter.

I missed that in your original post. So it's new starter, and it 'clicks'. That suggests that it is trying to connect 12V from the battery to the starter. Try measuring the voltage at the 12V terminal (the large heavy-duty cable) on the outside of the starter. There should be 12V here at all times.

Edited by forester2002s
Corrected statement about 12V at the starter.

It could be time for the old stater relay mod that was done back in the day. 

Add a 30amp horn relay triggered by the starter wire to give the starter solenoid a full 12v kick to get it going. 

If that doesn’t work then your starter motor is most likely toast or on the way to being toasted. 

Cheers 

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

It could be time for the old stater relay mod that was done back in the day. 

Add a 30amp horn relay triggered by the starter wire to give the starter solenoid a full 12v kick to get it going. 

If that doesn’t work then your starter motor is most likely toast or on the way to being toasted. 

Cheers 

Bennie

For it to be toast, it would of had to have been out of the box. It's a brand new starter and solenoid. Which is entirely possible.

On 11/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, SiriusBlack said:

I have now jumpered both clutch switches. We'll see if that fixes it.

You just need to jumper the clutch switch that goes off on full depress.  The clutch switch on slight press is the one that disengages cruise control, doesn't have anything to do with the starter.  FYI