Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket fuel tank for 86gl wagon?

hey! i’m finishing my ea to ej swap and wondering if anyone has recommended an aftermarket baffled fuel tank that fits the gl wagon? i replaced the fuel pump & lines and i’m worried that the more powerful pump will cavitate with a 1/2 empty tank, especially uphill.

thoughts?

thanks,

groucho

Get a fuel tank from an EFI model - the SPFI or GL-10 will have the baffled tank you’re after. 

At half a tank you won’t have an issue, below quarter of a tank you might though. 

If you can’t get a baffled tank go for a surge tank/swirl pot setup between the factory tank and the EFI pump. It doesn’t have to be huge but you will need your stock Fawcett pump between the factory tank and the surge tank/swirl pot and have the fuel return go to the surge tank/swirl pot and its overflow going to the factory tank. 

Or just keep your fuel tank above a quarter all the time (personally I suck at this and for some reason enjoy running my fuel tank low low low). 

Cheers 

Bennie

$500 surge tank… whaaat? You’re not needing a race spec surge tank! 

Get one off ebay, it shouldn’t cost anywhere near $500 and if you’re fitting it yourself you won’t need much other than some time and maybe a bracket once you work out a mounting location. 

Or if you’ve got a mate that’s a welder get them to make one up for you - it doesn’t need to be a huge capacity, a litre should easily do the job. 

Cheers 

Bennie