Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Impreza Speedo, Trans, timing Belt

I picked up an 05 Impreza, low mileage 60K.  The Speedo does not work and it looks like the milage readout may have burnt out.  I'm thinking a new gauge cluster.

- The Timing belt has not been replaced, it's low mileage but old.  I think it the idler bearings and seals should be changed.  I'm also a fan if it's not broken don't fix it!  Your thoughts?

- Auto trans had a bit of torque bind, by feel.  Not flashing trans temp light on start.  The car did sit for years, so I hope the clutches were just drided out and it will free up with some mileage and a flush/TransX treatment.

What do you think?

Posted (edited)

Mizumo sells Mitsuboshi timing belt kits on fleabay that include Aisin tensioners. Check the tensioner for hydraulic fluid loss around the lip seal on top of tensioner. Always a good idea to change belt, idlers & tensioner while there. Cheap insurance against bent valves!

Save your money and just buy ATF Dexron/Mercon cheap at a local store like North 40 in 2 gal jugs. Do a flush by draining the fluid then refilling, drive for 100 miles then drain & refill again. Do this 3 times. Don't take it out of Park until you're sure it's refilled to cold low mark while idling.

Get yourself 3 one gallon milk or juice jugs, cleaned and dried out. Pour the first draining into one jug to gauge how much to put into the second jug for refilling the trans before starting the engine to check oil level cold. Saves a lot of time filling, checking level, etc when flushing the trans.

Any additive that causes seals to swell is a bad idea. 

Edited by czny

I put the FWD fuse in today, no FWD light, but the speedometer of the cluster is out as well.  The AT Temp light is not flashing after starting the car.  More digging.

Definitely change the timing belt kit! 

Check the main fuses under the bonnet to ensure that’s not a possible reason as to why your cluster isn’t working. Also check all the connectors are properly plugged in behind the cluster. 

Hopefully not rodent damaged! 

Cheers 

Bennie

I wouldn’t leave a 20 year old belt on an interference engine. If you’re positive it’s Subaru it’s got a lot better chance than aftermarket  

I’ve seen clutches free up on older ones that sat, just by driving. I’d drive it and periodically remove the FWD fuse to see if they’re any better.  Initial torque bind almost always responds well to fluid changes so that’s worth a try IMO. 

• Like 1

I pulled the dash gauge cluster apart and found the FWD, ABS, LO and Hold bulbs missing from the circuit board.

Why do people do it.  Fix it Right or let people know there is a fault!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lmdew said:

Why do people do it.  Fix it Right or let people know there is a fault!

A rhetorical question, right?  Our world is full of immoral mechanics and car salesmen who know it is far cheaper to hide faults than to fix them.

My 87 DL came to me with the CEL bulb not doing a proper self-check at start-up. The bulb had been removed of course. I installed a new bulb and was able to fix the faults. I later found the old bulb under the passenger seat when cleaning up the interior. I bought the car from the original owner but of course he claimed to know nothing about it. <_<

• Haha 1

Transmission Drain and Flush today made significant improvements on the transmission torque bind.  I always pull the radiator trans coolant hose and let the trans pump out a gallon at a time after I drain and fill the transmission.  After 3 gallons the flush is complete and trans serviced.  

• 3 weeks later...

Power steering belt rubbed a hole in the upper radiator hose a couple of weeks ago.  A quick fix.  This thing was hit in the front as some point.  I pulled the radiator support out a bit and it's been fine.

Today going down the freeway, it seemed as if the engine cutout completely a few times.  It always came back to life in a second.

No codes logged.  The temp went up a little but other than that nothing.  

I checked under the hood when I got home and everything seemed OK.