Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump Help Needed in the Northwest

Ok, this is kind of a strange request and I'm actually not sure what I am asking so hear me out. I am living in Slovenia right now so my parents have been driving my '86 GL wagon around while I am out of the country. They just called me and told me that the water pump went out. My dad took it to the shop and was told that it would take around $600 to fix it. It's been a great car, but I hate to sink that much $ into it expecially since I won't be driving it for another 6 months or so. Does anyone have any advice to offer? The car is located in Vancouver, WA (Salmon Creek area) and I need to tell them what I want to do ASAP. It's in great shape so it's worth putting work into it, but maybe just not that much. Thanks for any advice or help that you can offer.

Johnny

jcstevensjr@comcast.net

600.00 is way too much. Even at the dealer it should run about 240.00 - 320.00. I'm wondering if they may be adding in a timing belt and seals??????

find out exactly what they were going to do and post it here. If I lived near there I'd go do it for you but I'm about 500 miles away.

Good luck, boing

Richie and his Dad run a Subaru repair shop. He is a long standing board member and his Dad has been in and around Subaru for around 20yrs. Here is a link to their website (which is currently under construction) http://www.superiorimportrepair.com/page.htm

That amount of money sounds like they are estimating repair of the waterpump and front engine seals and timing belts and possibly an oil pump. Which is well worth it any time you have to do a waterpump. You have to open most of it up to gain access anyway.

Thanks for all of the help. I just talked to my dad and I think that the issue is that they want to do t-belts and seals and everything. It's still more than I want to sink into it :) I'll keep you all posted on what I am going to do. You guys are great...thanks for everything.

Johnny

Yeah as Ken has mentioned try having your dad contact Richie at Superior Import Repair cause he knows what he is doing and also is a resonable price and it is a good idea to replace the timing belts and cam/front crank/oil pump seals while he is at it cause of you do have to dig through that stuff as it is to get to the waterpump

That quote of $100 for just the labour of replacing the water pump is about right. This amounts to about 2 hours. I can do it in 1.5 hours, including yanking the rad, provided the belt cover bolts co-operate.

If you're in there anyway, the timing belts and oil seals should be replaced too. This would only add another hour to the labour costs ($150 total). Parts shouldn't cost all that much either -- probably $80 or so plus the cost of the water pump.

In other words, you're looking at around $300 to $350 for the whole job. If the car wasn't leaking too much oil, you might be able to skip replacing the seals. I strongly recommend doing the timing belts, though.

Too bad you're not near here: I have a brand new water pump, still in the box, that I have absolutely NO use for. I'd GIVE it to you!