Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One LONG drive

Ok everyone, so I rolled into san jose, CA around 3AM monday morning, spent most of the day with my parents which I hadnt seen in forever, left around 9:45PM monday, and finally made it to Arroyo Grande, CA, around 1:15 in the morning.

So I pulled out my calculator today and did some adding up, with the help of mapquest, etc.. For a grand total round trip of 1,870 miles. :slobber: With, as some people know, a rather noisy exhaust. After driving that long you get out of the car and you can feel your head pulsating and cant hear much of anything.

Brian, it was awesome finally meeting you, I hear some 4wheelin excursions in the future, Seeing as you are in a resonable distance. also btw, I have some WCSS6 pics to send you so you can post.

Dave, Laurel, Mike (from portland), Austin, Danoi, Noah. Theres so many people I met this weekend and my lack of ability to remember names real well is hindering. You all were reall cool to hang out with.

Well anyway, Awesome weekend overall.

So who can top my milage round trip? (driven -noah, I know you flew in)

Peace out people, and I'll see if I can make it up there sometime this winter in "the beast"

-Mike

(for those who dont remember who I am, cause I am usually rather quiet, I had the beat up blue 87 DL auto wagon that I drove up with the tigerstripe seats, and I had my friend brandon from SJ camping with me.)

I don't think any can top that, but some of us Nevadans can come pretty close. My drive mileage was about 1205 miles, subieman and another in our group had a little over 1300 I think. Scott actually had to drive to Incline and then over to Nevada City, so he might be within a couple hundred miles of your record.:grin: It was definitely a long trip back, and our soobs aren't too quiet. It was fun though!

I didnt get my total milage cause I forgot to enter a couple gas stops into my palm. But on the trip up, i know I averaged 27mpg :)

I was able to make the trip back home in just under 10hrs. I got sick of driving real fast, and wanted to get home. Got lucky enough to follow a couple ppl at 90+ and made great time.

Mike, you still have access to the usmb.net galleries, so if you have pix to share upload them there :)

-Brian

• 5 years later...

Cool. This thread was originally posted in '04 when we all took a drive to the West Coast Subaru Show & Back. The majority of our gang came from Northern Nevada, there was me from Sacramento and Mike from San Jose.

But, your drive is pretty impressive. I didnt even know they had roads that lead to Prudhoe Bay. My father works there, but flys.

Alaska Highway #11 Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay was built in the 70's

(450 miles)

My subie has driven this road several times. Their uses to be only one gas

stop at Coldfoot 1/2 way their.

look up the north slope haul road and Coldfoot.

great road trip. JUST PULL OVER FOR ALL TRUCKS !!!!

This road has pot holes bigger and deeper then

a Ford F-350 dully. Hit one of these pot holes at 60 and your car or truck

will turn to JUNK. bottoms out and tears the whole front suspenion and exhaust and other parts OFF your rig.

Must be about 50 cars, trucks (big and small)

at the Yukon river crossing.

1998 OBW EJ25 DOHC Automatic. 245 K on the speedo.

Keep the rotor RPM up

Alaskan2

minus -12 below tonight

Driven to Maine to Florida and back with my mom.

And about once a month I make the drive from ME to PA, about 1000 miles round trip. I usually average 33mpg with my ej22 and 5MT. If I'm in a hurry and driving 85+ my gas mileage goes down fast though....

Now that had to be one exciting (and long) trip!

It really was. I was 17, just out of high school, Pop was between jobs and Mom asked, "Just how far is it from here to Alaska?" That's all it took--we threw what we needed in the Buick and set off to see how far we could get. Always with the understanding that when we burned through half our money we'd turn around and head home.

Spent a month on the road camping out and cooking out, eating in local diners (no fast-food places then!), sharing with fellow travelers.

Saw a lot of fantastic scenery and met a lot of wonderful characters--people who wanted to live their own lives their own way and simply didn't want to be hemmed in by urban society. In fact there was a lot of anti-statehood sentiment then. They made a strong impression on me.

I'd love to do that trip again.

Driven to Maine to Florida and back with my mom.

And about once a month I make the drive from ME to PA, about 1000 miles round trip. I usually average 33mpg with my ej22 and 5MT. If I'm in a hurry and driving 85+ my gas mileage goes down fast though....

Wow, old thread.

I do PA to ME pretty often also. 4 or 5 times a year, sometimes more. It's about 1100 miles for me. I can get just about 30 MPG in the WRX if I stay out of boost. I won't even mention how fast I can do the trip if I don't care about MPG. Out of state speeding tickets don't transfer to a PA license. :)

When I lived in NJ we did NJ to Orlando FL a few times straight through.

I have 3 driving trips I'd like to try someday. PA to Key west FL, PA to Alaska and PA to California. Maybe someday. I also want to try to drive the 360 to Maine.