Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale MPG

What kind of gas mileage is expected from a 92 loyale SW? Has 1.8L engine with 3spd auto trans. 4WD. Getting around 23 mpg now. Also I keep losing a quart of oil every other gas fill up. No oil drips under car. I have let the car run idleing and no oil. Doesn't appear to be burning either. Car has 108,000 miles on it. Any help appreciated.

So far noticed all replies have 5 speeds. Anyone have 3spd auto's with mpg results. Forgot to mention its fuel injected.

forgot to ask... how do you dive it? are you the kind of person who likes to hear squealing tires at every take off or do you think that the guy honking his horn behind you is thanking you for being so cautious as you try to avoid killing the flies in front of you? is this city or highway? wide open traffic or stop and go?

forgot to ask... how do you dive it? are you the kind of person who likes to hear squealing tires at every take off or do you think that the guy honking his horn behind you is thanking you for being so cautious as you try to avoid killing the flies in front of you? is this city or highway? wide open traffic or stop and go?

In between, Normal take off. I don't think it's capable of squealing tires. Mostly highway driving.

since its a 3sp and mostly highway, i'm guessing you hover around 4 grand on the tach at cruise speeds (well, LEGAL cruise speeds at least). in that case, low/mid 20s is not too bad. some things you could do to improve your mileage would be getting a new O2 sensor in addition to your basic tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor). also, sometimes your mileage will suffer if you're using gas with too high an octane rating. always use the lowest octane your car can take without detonation. if you carry a lot of extra crap in your car with you, the extra weight could also be hurting your mileage. Might also check to see if the return lines for your fuel injection system are good and clear. if they're clogged, you might be squirting too much fuel into the cylinders since the pressure will be higher than expected. <-- just a wild assed guess

Well, you first problem is that you live in Pottsville, so that means everything is uphill! :D Seriously, I live in reading, my sister-in-law is from Pottsville, and can you say Yuengling! When I had my 88 carbed wagon with the FWD 3spd I was only getting about 18-20 commuting from reading to allentown. Being that you have the SPFI, but also have the 4wd I'd say that 23 is good. Some of these people can't understand the hills we have here, and they play a big roll when you've only got three gears. BUT, once the snow comes those tall first gears will pull you right up the hills.

Keith

Glad to see I'm not the only one with that philosophy on subaru oil leakage :drunk:

Hey its true!!!when the guy at the muffler shop got my car up on the lift his first words were "Holy *#%@$ what exploded under your car?" My reply was.."You see any rust under there?" and his reply.." No"...mine.."point made!":banana:

I didnt realize there was that much of a difference between the FWD and the 4WD Subs gas mileage. I feel spoiled now.

I have an ’87 carbed 4WD wagon with the 3AT, it was my commuter before I got my RX, 21-23MPG is what it got with mostly easy freeway driving 65-75mph. I have the original EPA window sticker which states 22mpg hiway. The SPFI should be good for another 1-2mpg, so I think you are doing pretty well. The 3AT is terribly inefficient and is not geared well for hiway.

BTW, the RX (fulltime 4WD, D/R 5 speed) does the same trip at 24-28mpg, on the low end with full boosting on ramps, on the high end smooth and easy, and its got 270,000 miles on it.

Gary

I didnt realize there was that much of a difference between the FWD and the 4WD Subs gas mileage. I feel spoiled now.

yeah, the 4WD weighs a couple hundred pounds more. y'know, drive shaft, transfer case, etc. takes a bite out of the mileage. plus i think the tranny is geared a little lower. even when i'm in FWD 65 MPH is just over 3k rpms.

yeah, the 4WD weighs a couple hundred pounds more. y'know, drive shaft, transfer case, etc. takes a bite out of the mileage. plus i think the tranny is geared a little lower. even when i'm in FWD 65 MPH is just over 3k rpms.

I can understand that..the wieght difference.. But when I am running 65 MPH my rpms run about the same as yours.Now ..if I turn the AC on I think I get around 2 MPG :) . I dont baby my Sub one bit but I did recently do basically a new ignition system in it and cleaned the injectors so that is probably helping alot.

Still want a 4WD one someday...maybe when Bucky hits 300,000 I will get a 4WD

Just purchased a 92 loyale,a/t:banghead: ( sucks) 97,000 on it and gets 27mpg. Love the car. I only paid $200 for it. Body is mint. It had trunk, exhaust and bumper damage. Why it was so cheap Easy fix. chained it to a tree and pulled the big dent out. Got under $400 bucks in it. Still needs a tune up and some good tires and I will check the mileage again. Hope that helps.

djcracker

• 2 months later...

why does my 94 loyale get like 10-15 mpg?its terrible!!

Hey its true!!!when the guy at the muffler shop got my car up on the lift his first words were "Holy *#%@$ what exploded under your car?" My reply was.."You see any rust under there?" and his reply.." No"...mine.."point made!":banana:

I've had a '87 GL 4WD wagon 5spd (Bought it new) that gave me 35-38 mpg highway once it was well broken in. My current '89 GL 2WD sedan with a 3 spd AT (Bought used for $100 at 245,000 mi. with a clogged radiator and bad alternator.) only gives me 28-29 on the highway. The main difference I notice between the two is the 5 spd rarely exceeded 3500 rpm at highway speeds while the 3 spd AT is at 4000 rpm. The '89 had quite an oil leak until I changed the cam cover gaskets. The old ones were hard as a rock!!! Still not bad for 267,000 mi. on the original engine.

why does my 94 loyale get like 10-15 mpg?its terrible!!

Is your check engine light on? How's the performance? Have you changed all the ignition parts and run some fuel system cleaner recently? Is it leaking gas (actually not terribly uncommon on older soobs)?

The only time my mileage has dropped that much was when I lost a cylinder due to an ignition problem and was dumping raw fuel out the exhaust. Pull your plugs and look for funny wear.Also..new plug wires,cap and rotor.reset timing,and like snowman said..is your check engine light on??How is your Cat?? is it starting to get clogged up? Geesh thats bad!!!

I just did my ignition system and cleaned my injectors...made a huge difference.My EGR sylinoid is still bad so my check engine light is on (electrical tape fixed that :brow: ) I think the worst I got from mine was 25-28 MPG.