Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX....why?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better seats. 5speed duel range trany full time 4wd. locking center diff. LSD in the rear. Turbo. ground effects. hard to find yes. car has tons of traction. stiffer springs and struts. rear sway bar. rear disc. a real gauge cluster. probably more but thats all the stuff I miss after selling mine:(

better seats. 5speed duel range trany full time 4wd. locking center diff. LSD in the rear. Turbo. ground effects. hard to find yes. car has tons of traction. stiffer springs and struts. rear sway bar. rear disc. a real gauge cluster. probably more but thats all the stuff I miss after selling mine:(

Wow! I didn't realize the RXs had all those things. No wonder they are heavier than the earlier modelled scoobies.

I thought the RX was a single range tranny? And you had the option of fulltime AWD or you could lock the center dif to make it true 4WD. And there was NO low range.... Am I wrong?

I thought the RX was a single range tranny? And you had the option of fulltime AWD or you could lock the center dif to make it true 4WD. And there was NO low range.... Am I wrong?
it should have a locking center diff AND a low range. at least all the ones I have seen(not manny) have that tranny set up.

short answer.. yes.

85-86 RX part time dual range no locking center diff

87-89 RX FT4WD D/R with locking center diff

The low range on the RX isnt meant for crawling like the EA81 and EA82 low ranges. The RX's low range is meant for better gearing on gravel and rough roads, keeping the power in the right range no matter what gear you chose.

ALL real RX's have a Dual Range Full Time 4WD 5spd. No auto, no single range, no pushbutton 4WD. And they all have a center diff lock as well.

Some GL10's were offered with Single Range Full Time 4WD Gearbox's with Diff locks, but only the RX got the dual Range FT4WD.

Also, it does have an upgraded suspension and a rally interior.

-Brian

Wow. i can say that i didnt think RX's were that in demand. Serioulsy, i live in a ford town (fools!) and folks make fun of me driving the box that is my RX. I always think its cool, but no third person admiration. Then i pointed out to the kid in the '04 jetta that i had the same motor as him (1.8 w/ turbo) only i had full time 4wd. made him scratch his head..

The single crappiest thing on my RX is the fact it has no cup holders.. i have to fit beverages (mason jars of iced tea) in the little gap between the range selector and the e-brake. That and the fact it would really soar if i fixed the gearing, eliminated 3rd, moved 4th down and put on a bolt-on OD gear for 5.

I do have a 3.9 diff, in no way is this how they come, it was a frankenstein part dad hillbillied up to work with the engine he rebuilt using componets of 3 (to my knowledge)other engines, non of the others being RX's.

I've seen no other RX's in northern CO other than my father's shop, and it is definately not a head turner outside of the rally track. I have no idea the resale value, even, as i have yet to see one advertised for sale. don't get me wrong, we are NOT looking to sell it.

Then i pointed out to the kid in the '04 jetta that i had the same motor as him (1.8 w/ turbo) only i had full time 4wd. made him scratch his head..

I do have a 3.9 diff.....

*sigh*

either you are wrong or you are ruining a perfectly good RX.

Corky/?

Does anyone know if the suspension parts are swappable into a GL 10 Wagon? I would hate to see this RX just rot in the junkyard if some of the parts are that good.

All the suspension parts from the RX are a direct swap for an EA82 wagon

if you want the rear swaybar, easiest way is to take the whole traiking arm with the mounts..

The doctor is in the house. Alright, first off, and I know Calebz will disagree, but all RXs with standard trannys had D/Rs, 85 to 86 had on-demand 4WD D/R, but from 87 to 89 they had Full Time 4WD D/R trannies with center locking diffs. In 89 there was an optional automatic of the RX (first and only year offered). With the expection of the automatics, all RXs have LSD rear diffs. In 90, Subaru release a RS which was close to a RX in looks only, very few were turbos, and even then only had a single range tranny. These are what most people see when they say they saw a RX with a single range tranny.

To answer your question, the RX is to the EA82 series car what the WRX is to the GC and GD series Imprezas. It was a car that Subaru set up for rallying and made availabe to the public. I hope this answers your question.

Alright, first off, and I know Calebz will disagree, but all RXs with standard trannys had D/Rs, 85 to 86 had on-demand 4WD D/R, but from 87 to 89 they had Full Time 4WD D/R trannies with center locking diffs. In 89 there was an optional automatic of the RX (first and only year offered). With the expection of the automatics, all RXs have LSD rear diffs. .
Eh?

Why would I disagree.. with the exception of the part about the automatics, you said the exact same thing I did.......

I was hoping you might have some input on the gentleman above that has an 88 with FT4WD D/R and a 3.90 rear diff...

PS.. I don't disagree with you just for the sake of disagreeing.. I'm not that disagreeable.. I only disagree with you when you are wrong ;)

The doctor is in the house. Alright, first off, and I know Calebz will disagree, but all RXs with standard trannys had D/Rs, 85 to 86 had on-demand 4WD D/R, but from 87 to 89 they had Full Time 4WD D/R trannies with center locking diffs.......

So is low range on all these RX models 1.2 ratio?