Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any one cut the back off there Subie?

As some of you know I'm interested in getting a Subaru but I haven't decided what I want yet. Just curious if anyone has tried (bobbing) cutting the back of their Subie off to make less overhang, thus increasing departure angle..... This is real common with 4x4 trucks to improve departure angle and I've done several vehicles mayself..... What I'm thinking is say a EA82 Wagon with 9-12" removed from behind the rear wheels with plexiglass/lexan windows.....

a couple of people have done it with Brats. there was some contemplating it a while back from someone who smashed up the rear of their wagon....

there's a 86 wagon for sale in MO right now that would be perfect for that....

it's already lifted, and has a weber carb and bigger tires/wheels...

and would make the drive to WA okay....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22936

I've only seen it done with brats...wouldn't make much sence, bobbing a hatch :lol:

(although many have taken the tops off :eek: ) As for the front end there is not much to take off lengthwise because of the lights and radiator.

I believe Zapar just removed some metal under the bumper of his hatch. You should be able to find the thread.

SawZalls and Subarus are not strangers!

Saw on Dude :headbang:

Glenn

82 SubauHummer

01 Forester

Off the top of my head AdamnNJ had bobbed his Brat. I'm not really worried about it tho. My wagon rear end doesnt stick past the rear axles any further than say a Toyota 22R pickup :) Once youre lifted, big tires, and custom bumpers are snugged upto the body the departure angles are greatly increased.

Don't mean to keep comparing to my Yota but bear with me....

See my 4runner is bobb'ed 9". You just cut the back off, section the body vertically and then weld the butt back on. So when youre done, you shouldn't notice other than it looks a bit different....

1295917-IM000888.JPG

The body work isn't that bad and really goes pretty quick. But heres my curernt project that I'm going to sell probably to fund a Subie build up. Its a 83 sandrad cab Toyota with a 86 xtra cab graphed onto the back. Toyota NEVER made this model!!!! Oh and the bed is bob'd 13 off the fron and 20" off the back since it use to be a LONG bed.....I was going to go all out on this project and make it a REAL preunner with fiberglass and long travel but I've lost intrest so Its time for a project change.

1174819-83_xtracab_driver.jpg

So when it comes to body modifcations, I have the skill and the tools to do it.

Well theres a lip in the front that could be shaved off for a few inches, and in the back of a wagon you could cut diagonally under the hatch and weld new metal in. This would give you a few inches. Also, the area underneath the headlights can be cut out to give room for your tires to get up stumps and rocks.

Bobbing a wagon would be tough if you want to keep rear quarter glass. You could just plate that in with sheetmetal though after you move the back end forward. Or make the wagon into a baja by cutting the roof off behind the doors, and bobbing the rear end.

...hey I see 5bolt wheels on that toy. Whats going on there?

If youre gonna hit stuff like that you will be in your 4Runner though right? So will you really need to bob it? Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems like you want the Subaru for lighter wheeling and you have the 4Runner for the extreem crawling terrain?

For the glass in the rear of a wagon, I was just thinking Lexan or plexy glass.......

I've also thought about a baja conversion........ Just like a mini quad cab and then I could chop the rear to just about any length.

All 2wd Toyota's (except Tacoma Prerunner's) are 5 Lug. All 4wd Toyota Pickups/4runners, Taco's are 6 lug.

MorganM - Your right on the 4runner being for 'extreme' stuff and a Subie for 'mild 'stuff but I would like a Subie be set up so I can FIND the extreme stuff. And to do that I might have to get thru some difficult terrain to get there. Does that make since? Oh I'm also thinking about adding a winch to a Subie so I can deal with the rougher stuff....

Zapar - FAWK'N SWEET! <- hope I can say that here...

You can stuff a 4500 lb winch in pretty easy. But I just alwasy use a come-a-long. It's rated at 8000 with its snatch. That and a few straps and a chain for trees and 2 people can get it out of just about anything.

That stuff's all lighter too. I can keep it behind my seat and dry and out of the way.

You can stuff a 4500 lb winch in pretty easy. But I just alwasy use a come-a-long. It's rated at 8000 with its snatch. That and a few straps and a chain for trees and 2 people can get it out of just about anything.

That stuff's all lighter too. I can keep it behind my seat and dry and out of the way.

Yeah, For my 4runner I normally have this for recover gear:

HS9500i Winch with 115 ft or 5/16 Dia poly rope

(3) 3/4" shackles

(1) 2 1/2" hitch shackle mount

6 ft tree strap

30 ft recover strap

3/8" dia snatch block

2000 lbs web come-a-long

Axe, folding tree limb saw, shovel, 60" Hi-Lift.

For a subie I think I would carry this:

2500 lb ATV Winch <-maybe on a hitch plate for front and rear mounting

(2) 5/8" Shackles

6 ft tree saver

2000 lbs web come-a-long

5/16" dia snatch block

Axe, folding tree limb saw, shovel

End hijack -

So has anyone took a EA81 or EA82 and made a quad cab brat/baja?

How about slanting the rear up some? Instead of cutting it off completely, maybe angle it up. That might save on the body work some unless you were thinking about ditching the rear windows and just sectioning it. I'm think the same for my blazer as I have the same overhang problem there.

Even with the rear up tight and the oversize tires, I still drag.

P11010018.jpg

MorganM - Your right on the 4runner being for 'extreme' stuff and a Subie for 'mild 'stuff but I would like a Subie be set up so I can FIND the extreme stuff. And to do that I might have to get thru some difficult terrain to get there. Does that make since? Oh I'm also thinking about adding a winch to a Subie so I can deal with the rougher stuff....

You'll get back to the gnarly stuff with out bobing it. Although it's obviouse you have the skills and tools to do it. Also consider structural integrity. These are sheet metal unibodies with pretty small subframes. Hacking away major portions of the unibody will need to be replaced with reinforcment. More so than a vehicle that has a solid frame holding everything together securely. Would definatly be sweet once done; a lot of work though.

My 82 brat is bobbed 9 inches. Had the subframe over the muffler area been in better shape I coulda kept the rear roll pan area and frame rails of the tailgate section, but instead I only salvaged the bed sides and taillight areas and had to rebuild the middle section with heavy angle iron and other scrap steel. Looks ok, but was kind of a pain.

MorganM - I totally understand that reenfocing the unibody will be nessecary. But I'm curious on how the body lines and unibody lines, line up. That would be my only real area of concern. And welding sheetmetal is really pretty easy if its fitted properly before welding and everything is prepped. Oh and you also need rust free metal.

So I guess my questions still stands. Has anyone ever done bobb'd a wagon or quad cab'd a wagon?