Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$150 Brat

Nug

I know where there is one right now, but it's not rust free.

The RX? Heh. I haven't driven it in 2 months because I'm too lazy to change a front axle. I've sort of been waiting for the TWE header and D/P to show up so i can knock it all out at once. Inspection dies at the end of this month, too.

• 1 month later...

Va DMV seems to have its own judicial powers. This guy will have to appeal to DMV.

Edit: Robby found the recipt from when he turned the plates in, it contains very specific information about whose plates, car, etc. I don't want this guy to be screwed. I'm gonna take it to him tonight.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

The Brat is great. It's Robby's daily driver, and aside from the odd growling wheel bearing and electrical problem, it's been fine.

The drunk guy we got it from had dropped his insurance on it without returning his plates. This is a big no-no in VA, and the rules had recently been changed, so when the plates were turned in, it started a chain reaction.

The brat is now sporting the wheels and tires off of my RX, the original steelies were almost all bent to some degree. Probably part of the wheel bearing wear. It's also got some jump seats installed, $100 from a local junkyard. We also spotted pug 15" alloys in a local junkyard, way in the back. Those are just a matter of time.

WOW! Great story.

Here in Fresno there is a guy who is trying to sell 3 Brats. He is asking way way way too much for them, given their condition. I ended up finding a 94 Legacy wagon for $200 I will be picking up next week. So, between fixing Murphy's head gasket woes, and getting "Red" (the new Leggy is red) up and running (have not a clue what's wrong) I have no time to adopt a Brat.

If anyone is interested in the brats though, they are listed on Craigstlist in Fresno.

PS. I will be getting rid of my old EA82t and tranny on Craigslist soon.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

After replacing all of the axles (the front ones twice), two sets of tires, a couple of fuel filters, a radiator, and the passage of about four years, Robby sold the brat to a guy in northern Virginia for $250. Rust had creeped in, and even after a marathon welding session, the local inspection guy warned us that he wasn't going to pass it again.

The car was sold for $250 to make it eligible for BABE Rally 2008, which it completed with ease. It even picked up some passengers who rode in the jump seats after their car blew up. After some bartering and such, the car was sold to Miles Fox.

I guess I'll post a picture of it.

Robbysbrat001.jpg

The person in the photo is Robby, and not Miles Fox. You can tell by the lack of an aviator's leather helmet.

Farewell, car. Don't let Miles take you airborne too often. That moustache bar mount looks crispy.

so this is the history of the brat. i would have never known.

once we picked it up from the babe rally i swapped out the 175 h-style wheels on the brat withthe 185 h-style wheels on the trashwagon, so now both cars have the right tires insted of 10mph speedo differences between the 2.

i picked up a hi-topper and another front axle from tomrhere over the weekend, and hauled back an ej22 and an xt6 tranny. turns out a legacy i was looking to purchase was sold out from under me....to the parts guy at the soob dealer....who called me looking for a motor.

the brat has been great. i found a gross vac leak and replaced the rear fuel filter and now she is getting a good 28 mpg all day long.

i have already located a front fender and steel chrome bumpers from an 82 dl wagon that sits at a farm in northern wisconsin. i already have the center console form the same car, so now i have an ashtray and a cubby where the driver side speaker was, but still no radio.

according to tom, ea82 seats bolt right in as he showed me in his red nevada brat, and i have my choice of rx seats or xt seats already modded for ea82.

so now i know where thst goofy dent came from. still need to bleed the front brake, she is a little darty on abrupt stops. rear shocks are floppy but i would like to mod in ea82 coilovers with the rust reapir in the wheel wells.

i'm depating if this car is candidate for TRASHBRAT or unofficially TRASHWAGONX (10)

i am half tempted to swap in my rx tranny and rear end along withthe 5 lugz, and the possiblility of ea82t. if so, this woulod be the height of ea evolution and would properly be trashwagon10 from an evolution standpoint.

although i would like to do something different with a paint job this time...

WOW this is an old thread!

I had receved a $100 brat about 6 months ago. I lifted it and did everything needed to run. After finding out I have to swap eng's or rebuild the one thats in it (its got hydro lifters), I just got to busy. It sits at the end of my driveway just taunting me.......It is insured and licensed, I just want to wheel the damn thing.

Are you kidding me there are hundreds of these around oregon and 2 months ago on craigslist someone sold theirs for 200 and it ran

the only reason i have a brat in wisconsin is because it came from virginia. all the ones from here rusted in half before anyon eknew about them.

and this one is probably too rusty by VA standards, but is within 'clean body" standards for wisconsin.

and then you PNW folks who think your cars will buckle in half over some flash rust.....:rolleyes: