Ultimate Subaru Message Board

highest milage

My 1985 D/R 4WD GL Wagon has 269,469.1 miles showing. The speedometer/odometer is inoperative. The lady I bought it from says it had not worked for years:eek: . No telling how many actual miles are on it. It looks like hell, but runs like new. Uses/leaks no fluids, does not smoke, (are you sitting down?) No tapping from lifters! Runs smooth with plenty of power. All electricals work, even though the bottom 6 inches of the car is rusted away! Everything still works on the car and it drives great. Even after sitting for over a year.

I love these damn cars.

bleh forgot to mention, my old bimmer (1985 BMW 318i) had 208k on it before the odometer froze up, but saying it worked would be a stretch... it worked, so long as you jump started it... and you idled in the driveway for 10minutes before actually driving, parking brake on, in drive... on ebay it went... peice of ****...

A professor I know claims to have over 1,500,000 miles on one of his Subarus,an '83 4WD wagon.His wife came out and backed him up.Apparently he'd commute home on the weekends from places like Univeristy of Florida,and Michigan State,and other universities he's worked at.

I haven't spoken to him in about 2 years,since the summer after 9/11/01 when he was greatly concerned for his wellbeing while working in Paris.He purposely took all my info incase something happened to him.Well,I guess he's ok.

I told him to write Subaru of America but I don't think he was into the fanfare.He has a hatch also with over 450,000mi. and claimed to still have all original components in it.

The 1.5 mil car was only on it's second engine,so he claims.He's in North Salem NY just incase his story ever gets into Subaru's Drive magazine or some other news.

His brother inlaw owns a shop in Canada that has a rotiserie....for cars.His body on the wagon looked absolutley incredible,in very solid shape.

Sitting next to the hatch and wagon are a Gen II BRAT and another hatch for parts.One cool old professor!...and in the garage a couple or micro cars.Very cool guy indeed.