Ultimate Subaru Message Board

driving in 4wd

I have loyale with pushbutton 4wd (S/R). Are there any thoughts on how much I can drive it in 4wd? Should I keep it under a certain speed? Will it damage anything if I leave it in 4wd for a long period of time? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Up till now I have only had it in 4wd in the snow (3 times). Thanks.

Basically you can keep it in 4x4 as long as you want, as long as you are not driving it on dry pavement. Wet pavement is ok. The reason is that when you turn, the total speeds of the front and rear wheels are not equal, and when you engage 4wd you force them to the same speed. On dry pavement the drivetrain will bind up and build up stress. On wet pavement or loose surfaces a wheel can slip easily to relieve the stress.

oh and go as fast as you want.

he he:brow:

some times I use the 4wd to merge onto the freeway from a dirt road or gravle area to get grip under boost.

but then im on the freeway in 4wd hauling down the road.

so what I have found to work well is let off the gas and put in the clutch and drop back into 2wd then continue down the road.

The reason is that when you turn, the total speeds of the front and rear wheels are not equal, and when you engage 4wd you force them to the same speed. On dry pavement the drivetrain will bind up and build up stress. On wet pavement or loose surfaces a wheel can slip easily to relieve the stress.

oh and go as fast as you want.

Actually its between the left and right sides of the vehicle. The inside tires follow a smaller arc than the outside tires and therefore turn slower than the outer tires. That is what causes the bind. The manual also calls for speeds of 50mph or less while in 4WD.

Actually its between the left and right sides of the vehicle. The inside tires follow a smaller arc than the outside tires and therefore turn slower than the outer tires. That is what causes the bind. The manual also calls for speeds of 50mph or less while in 4WD.

All four wheels turn in different arcs, the front and rear differentials handle the left to right, but when locked in 4WD there is no compensation for the front to rear differance, (like bushbasher said).

Gary

I recently had a cv joint break on me in the front passenger wheen so i took the shaft out and am driving in 4wd, is this ok? i drive on dry pavement on hwy and dirt. i left the driver side shaft in because it doesn't do anything since there is no stress on the passenger side.

I did that too in my 80 4wd wagon-was turning out of the RCB( Rat and Cat bufffet) near work coming back from lunch and hear a click, the engine reved, and no forward motion in the middle of a busy street. Almost without thinking kicked it into 4wd, pulled into parking lot where I verified the CV join on the half shaft had split clean in 2. Drove back to work, then 20 miles home and that weekend to an axle shop to swap out.