Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IT'S DONE! Swapped EJ22 for EJ25 in '97 Outback

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is resurrection, but I'm going to put the 2.2L in my 99 OBW. I'm pretty certainit was a DOHC(just bought it with bad engine, have to make sure).

The only thing i'm confused about(read whole post btw), one guy says use 2.2L p/s pump and lines, other guy says use lines/pump/brackets from 2.5. Which is it?

One more thing, is there a # on the block I can use to be sure the yard is giving me a true 95/96 engine and not a 97?

Thanks!

I know this is resurrection, but I'm going to put the 2.2L in my 99 OBW. I'm pretty certainit was a DOHC(just bought it with bad engine, have to make sure).

The only thing i'm confused about(read whole post btw), one guy says use 2.2L p/s pump and lines, other guy says use lines/pump/brackets from 2.5. Which is it?

One more thing, is there a # on the block I can use to be sure the yard is giving me a true 95/96 engine and not a 97?

Thanks!

the ps pumps are the same, the lines/brackets are different. either will work with the 2.2 in the outback wagon, but if you have the car the 2.2 came out of there is no reason not to use the 2.2 lines/brackets which will bolt on more neatly rather than hang in the air. either way it's not a big deal.

ask for the vin of the car the engine came out of and the miles. generally parts yards aren't trying to cheat you, but mistakes are made. if you say you need a 95, they're only going to offer an engine their parts interchange software tells them will fit.

there might be a vin etched on the block, passenger side bell housing near the rear edge kind of low. i've seen it on my 2.2 when it was out of the car, i can't find it on my 97 obw 2.5 while it's in the car.

• 1 month later...

Help,,,

I'm thinking of replacing my engine in my 1998 Outback AT 2.5 DOHC (for all af the previously listed reasons) with an engine 2.2 EJ from a 1999 impreza Manual transmission. Actually I have already bought the engine and exhaust system.

Will the intacke manifold from the 2.5 EJ DOHC AT fit on the 2.2 EJ SOHC MT?

Do I need to change the ECM?

What about the Power Steering lines?

the Y pipe I'm okay with..

please help...

You need a 1995 2.2L to do this. Reason being.....'95 2.2L had the EGR, and duel port exhaust. The '96 2.2L has single port exhaust. So to use a '96 you would have to replace at leat your Y-pipe. You can't use '90-94 2.2L because they didn't have EGR.

I don't know what the reason would have been for using a '96 intake manifold. I would think you could use the intake off whatever 2.5L you are replacing. If you use the intake and sensors off your old engine you shouldn't have any issues with fuel control, unless there was a problem before you started.

Help,,,

I'm thinking of replacing my engine in my 1998 Outback AT 2.5 DOHC (for all af the previously listed reasons) with an engine 2.2 EJ from a 1999 impreza Manual transmission. Actually I have already bought the engine and exhaust system.

Will the intacke manifold from the 2.5 EJ DOHC AT fit on the 2.2 EJ SOHC MT?

Do I need to change the ECM?

What about the Power Steering lines?

the Y pipe I'm okay with..

please help...

OK, guys. Here's some clarification for those who are asking.

I'm not saying you can't use any other year but '95, but it's the one with the least hassle:

Prior to '95 the EJ22 left head did not have an EGR port. ('93 and '94 did have a place to drill and tap however.) '95 EJ22 had an EGR as did years after that, BUT the exhaust ports went from dual to single in '96. The EJ25 exhaust system is dual port, so it won't match properly to a single port head.

Also, the wiring on the '95 intake manifold plugs into the EJ25 wiring harness with no modifications and no ECU changes.

It's a '95 EJ22 and a '95 intake manifold.

(I don't drink anything that has "Fat" in the name :drunk: )

And, remember guys, I learned dang near everything I know (about Subarus anyway ;) from Rick.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

• 4 weeks later...

JUst did this swap took a 98 outback with a bad motor put in a ej22 that was manufactured in sept 94(car was a 95 legacy wagon that I heard run). everything went well untill I attempted to start it. the ignition timing seems to be off the motor has no egr is there some issue that I am missing. any Ideas would be helpful

• 3 months later...
JUst did this swap took a 98 outback with a bad motor put in a ej22 that was manufactured in sept 94(car was a 95 legacy wagon that I heard run). everything went well untill I attempted to start it. the ignition timing seems to be off the motor has no egr is there some issue that I am missing. any Ideas would be helpful

Have you figure it out? Im gettin same trouble, found timing belt 1 toth off, going to see if thats a problem. But i belive somthing else involved. I have 99 outback with EJ25 DOHC, replacing with 93 EJ22 SOHC. Using EJ25 wiring, Crank and cam position sensors, TB with TPS. ALso some solenoid mounted kinda under inatke manifold. EJ22 coilpack(had to done some wiring to it).

Cam pulley was my thought....but only difference i see is the one from EJ25 is plastic, and from ej22 is the metal.

Would be appriciated any help. Thanks. Vito.

Have you figure it out? Im gettin same trouble, found timing belt 1 toth off, going to see if thats a problem. But i belive somthing else involved. I have 99 outback with EJ25 DOHC, replacing with 93 EJ22 SOHC. Using EJ25 wiring, Crank and cam position sensors, TB with TPS. ALso some solenoid mounted kinda under inatke manifold. EJ22 coilpack(had to done some wiring to it).

Cam pulley was my thought....but only difference i see is the one from EJ25 is plastic, and from ej22 is the metal.

Would be appriciated any help. Thanks. Vito.

ps: CE light issue dont really bothers me, becase we r not requiring inspection here in FL.

Hm....which ECU are you using? The timing marks that the cam position sensor reads on the back of the cam sprocket might be different on those two engines. The crank sprocket should probably be compared too just to make sure.

oh yea i did make sure bout sprokets r same, at least same amount and location of that teth on a back of cam sproket.Im running it on a ej25 DOHC ECU. That was a reason i swaped original engine harnes to ej22. Also now after i corrected timing belt, changed spark plugs and ran it for about 3 min. it idels better and acceleretes pretty good now, but still kinda funny. Ill try to replace gas from gastank cuz aint much in it right now and car was sitting for about 8mo. till now. Will see how it goes. And ill let you gyus know if this swap possible at all. Im sure i can get to run right on ej22 non EGR ECU, but dont really feels like going thru swaping to obd1 rouitine. :(

BTW reason for this swap is only because i had older ej22 for free, so decided to see if i can get this one to work before spending ton of $.Original EJ25 DOHC was run out of oil by previous owner and spun a bearing i guess. I know i can swap heads, but one more time - im trying to see if ill get this engine to work the way it is.

Thanks

Hi,

I hope it is now working for you. Let me know. there is easy alternatives to swapping the heads and harness/ ecu.

I'm in a hurry ( back to work). if you want advice. email me.we can arrange a time to talk. I'm a very slow typist.

4ahick

well im going to get some gas. and will stick radiator in the car, so i will be able to run for a while. There is a lot of junk in a gas tank:eek:. Will see if it helps. Now im gettin p0135 and p0403 codes. well 0403 thats what i suggested and sure i dont have EGR valve. But will oxygen sensor make car running ruogh? or might be its for not having EGR valve too? My thought is becase by deleting EGR im getting waaaaay different exhaust gas structure.

Let me know gyus what you think about it?

Looks like im figure it out. Disconnetcted #2 'n' #4 fuel injectors = no change, so i disconected spark plugs #2 'n' #4 = no change. Got the spurk plugs out and both of 'em wet. When i was trying to mess with a #1 n #3 cyl. the car was shutting off right away. So my guess was - no compression in #2 'n' #4, ran a compression test - compression is near perfect. Should i bet money i have meesed up injectors?(sure i know this EJ22 was sitting for at least 3 years). Tried to unclog them putting 12v straight - didnt make any change. :banana: So i think this swap is possible just gotta find out whats else need to be done.Its still may be ECU issue and ECU wont give signal on injectors #2 'n' #4 at right timing time. But at least i pointed my problem. Will keep it up with my progress on it.

Edited by Seawolf

Hi, new to the forum, sorry if this question is in the wrong location. I'm putting in a 1997 EJ22 into a 2000 Forester, MT. Everything is in place (tapped starter hole with 1/2-13 UNC thread, worked great), except the intake won't plug into the car. Any one know if a 2000 or 2001 EJ22 intake will? I'd like to know before buying one from across the country, as no local yards have these intakes. Thanks a bunch!

Hi, new to the forum, sorry if this question is in the wrong location. I'm putting in a 1997 EJ22 into a 2000 Forester, MT. Everything is in place (tapped starter hole with 1/2-13 UNC thread, worked great), except the intake won't plug into the car. Any one know if a 2000 or 2001 EJ22 intake will? I'd like to know before buying one from across the country, as no local yards have these intakes. Thanks a bunch!

I think you're going to have to use the wiring harness, ECU, and intake from the EJ22 if this is going to work. The 00 Forester has the phase II 2.5L dohc, which is MAP speed density based airflow measurement, whereas the EJ22 you are putting in used a MAF.

What do you mean "Wont plug"? You mean it wont bolt up? You can try to use ej22 intake just tranfer most of the sensors and keep forester wiring.

Hmm.... 1 test drive is done with older ej22 swap in 99 dohc ej25 outback . Exhaust gas smells wrong(i know i have a lot of fuel in the exhaust, but car was running for more than 1 hour by now). So i think im running too rich. Anything i can do about it? Also car overheats(hope headgaskets is allive). Besides that, car run like a champ. Tommorow will try to change injectors again(all of them now) and see what is the nature of overheating. Let me know what yall think about "stincky exhaust"?

Yeah, by "won't plug" I mean the electrical won't plug in. 2000 Forester has 2 square electrical plugs, and the 1997 2.2L intake has 2 square plugs and 1 smaller plug. Also, the 2.2L intake has a different idle control valve, which has a vacuum line that should be attached to the air intake (Forester air intake has no tube for this to attach to).

Yeah, by "won't plug" I mean the electrical won't plug in. 2000 Forester has 2 square electrical plugs, and the 1997 2.2L intake has 2 square plugs and 1 smaller plug. Also, the 2.2L intake has a different idle control valve, which has a vacuum line that should be attached to the air intake (Forester air intake has no tube for this to attach to).

So try ro swap on a 2.2 intake ICV from forester intake, and other thing may be swaped from forester intake, or you just can possibly use yours 2.2 engine harness. I think you can get it done wihout getting other intake. Also, i belive 2000-2001 intake will not bolt up to 97 ej22, i might be wrong, but i think 2000-2001 intake has same bolt pattern with ej25.