Ultimate Subaru Message Board

points conversion

Baja...could you elaborate on this? Will this work in 70s cars too?

Todd

what caboobaru said and yes it will work with the EA-71's and I think also the EA-63's and such and even my EA-65 cause I should know cause it has one from a ea-81 when I got the car (the 76) and the boardmember that I got it from told me of this and then later on I told Andrew and Russ about it cause of they asked me about it when they saw it

got a electric dizzy in my '75, now that i hear it fits, i'll soon have one in my '74.

make sure you have everything facing the same direction when you install as when you removed the old one. when i hooked up the wires on mine they had to be the opposite from where they looked like they should go(color wise). hook the larger wire to the positive side(thats how mine is at least)

-mike

Do you need anything else to go with the dist swap (such as external module box)? Or, is everything self contained in the distributor? Caboobaroo said that they lost the ability to use a timing light after the swap? Why is that? I would like to keep the ability to use a timing light after making the swap.

You mention that the dist from the ea81's would swap into the EA71's will the earlier EA's dist swap into the EA71's. The reason I am asking is that a website(http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/subaru.htm) is selling a points conversion kit that will fit the earlier dist. It seems to me that if a dist from a EA 81 can fit into both the EA71 and earlier, then the earlier dist can fit into the newer engines.

Am I crazy?

Thanks for all your help

James

Do you need anything else to go with the dist swap (such as external module box)? Or, is everything self contained in the distributor? Caboobaroo said that they lost the ability to use a timing light after the swap? Why is that? I would like to keep the ability to use a timing light after making the swap.

You mention that the dist from the ea81's would swap into the EA71's will the earlier EA's dist swap into the EA71's. The reason I am asking is that a website(http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/subaru.htm) is selling a points conversion kit that will fit the earlier dist. It seems to me that if a dist from a EA 81 can fit into both the EA71 and earlier, then the earlier dist can fit into the newer engines.

Am I crazy?

Thanks for all your help

James

I put a disty from a '83 Brat into a ea71 and timed it correctly....???

you don't use the external IGN control unit anymore. it's contained within the disty.

yes, a ea71/earlier disty will work in an ea81, provided you use the external IGN unit that goes with the points disty.... but why?

maybe even into a carbed ea82... not sure...

that is not an easy question to answer because of the multitude of coil applications which are determined according to the specs of car manufacture or for racing applications which by-pass the distributor hook-up...subaru coils and ignitors are designed as a package or system (resistence factors determine this) ...even though the coil you are using seems fine now...not knowing the specs of your coil, you could be slowly burning out the ignitor in the distr....subaru gives the exact resistence numbers for there coils so that ignitors do not prematurely burn out..even the popular small accel coil does not have the correct specs... the subaru SYSTEM is an excellent way to go...very few cars have the Sparking power to maintian a spark plug gap of .044

Anyone know if you can still use high voltage ignition coils with the electronic ignition?

Don't mean to clog up the thread, but has any one added msd ignition systems or similar to their rides?

threeeyedbandit was running a msd 6-al in his wagon, we even built a rotary knob for adjustable rev limiter, instead of getting out and changing one of the set rpm crystals.

i bought a pertronix kit for my car, had to return it because it didn't fit into my dizzy. thats when i stuck the electric one in out of a '81 wagon. only had one ignition problem since then, which was a bad 10 year old fuse.

-mike

Thanks for all your help. It is nice to see that there are other people out there that are dedicated to these unique vehicles. I find myself kind of lonely where I live. The only brat that I have seen in my area is mine. Not to many other early subarus around either.

Once again thanks for all your help.

James

yes use the '83 and newer EA81 distys since its two wires you have to hook up besides the coil wire. I never really had a chance to screw with mine to get the timing marks to come up since I had to drive it everyday and I couldn't be without a car. So I got my Brat running with it and rebuilt the stck Hitachi and I was getting 30mph from a 26 year old engine. Maybe you need to screw with it to get the marks to come up but I never really had a chance to do so.....

yes use the '83 and newer EA81 distys since its two wires you have to hook up besides the coil wire. I never really had a chance to screw with mine to get the timing marks to come up since I had to drive it everyday and I couldn't be without a car. So I got my Brat running with it and rebuilt the stck Hitachi and I was getting 30mph from a 26 year old engine. Maybe you need to screw with it to get the marks to come up but I never really had a chance to do so.....

Did you say that your brat only goes 30mph? I find that hard to believe. I have a 78 brat and I have no broblems going on the freeway(64-70mph) I still have throttle left.

I hope that I heard you wrong. I just think that 30 mph is a little slow no matter how old the vehicle is.

James

Did you say that your brat only goes 30mph? I find that hard to believe. I have a 78 brat and I have no broblems going on the freeway(64-70mph) I still have throttle left.

I hope that I heard you wrong. I just think that 30 mph is a little slow no matter how old the vehicle is.

James

I met 30MPG! My Brat could do 90mph easily....sorry sometimes its been a long day when I get on here:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

What is the difference between the Hitachi distributor and the Nippondenso distributor for 83 and up cars. Both have 2 wires only to the coil and the electronic boxes under the cap. I think the 4WD and the automatics had the Hitachi and the 2WDs/manuals had the Nippon?? (Is this a true statement?)

Am I going to be able to time my EA 71 after this switch?

Thanks!

Todd,

What about your mileage, did it go up as well. The most I've ever been able to get out of my '78 was 25mpg and 27mpg out of my '80. Both are electronic.

Klaus

Worked like a dream!! EASY!!

and yes, the timing was able to be done like always. I'm happy now ALL my Gen 1's are electronic!!

Paul, is your 78 wagon electronic?

Todd