Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Vintage positive vibe grows from the USMB

Hey you 80's owners......you feeling it yet?

Your cars are approaching or turning into vintage.....catch the buzz man,you'll love it.

As for us 70's folks,the numbers are growing and most of the new members are helpful and genuinely concerned for each others rides.Of course there's a couple of snotballs out there too but we're just going to leave them be as they're young and on thier own path to "greatness". :rolleyes:

I had another cool time yesterday with another vintage,yet all around,Subaru enthusiast.Nice little day trip,decent little Gen I Brat retrieved....all part of the fun and commeradity that stems from this board.

The fact that several New Englanders are now sporting vintage Subarus is very satisfying to say the least.

Perhaps its a case of "misery loves company" :lol: but the friendships are genuine here.There's no showy types,no "outspenders",just a healthy polulation,very communal.Hopefully we can all party together a little at Carlisle or even a Holiday Classic at my place before the doors are closed for good.

Thanks to Subarufreak for the great day and excellent driving!!!!!Like I was behind the wheel,gotta love it.

Cheers!

So Paul, what's the definition in your area for vintage - 25+ years? Even 1960's era models have to be inspected here.

Generally it is 25+ years for antique status, one club says 20+? When the car is over 15 years old it is exempt from emissions, we have to pass a safety inspection only. Safety inspection includes seat belts only required if originally factory installed, e-brake, horn, lights, tires, glass, mirrors, loud exhaust/leaks, they jack the front up and put a breaker bar under the wheel to check for play in the suspension. They can also fail you for any rust-through on the body or any sharp parts sticking out that could cause a flesh wound from someone walking by... ouch!

Pardon my lack of spellcheck on "commaradety"/whatever...where the heck did I pull that one from :lol: ???

Yup,it's 25 years here and you get away with freakin murder.When my '78 roars into Carlisle this year it'll likely have straightpipes.At the very least I'll have the pipes for non-show.Since I now own most of the original exhaust system new I might get purist about it and show the car as it left the showroom.

Wanted:1977-1980 Brat :) in CT

Also wanted:Anything 25 years or older that gets over 30mpg. :brow:

I'm seriously considering getting "Historic Vehicle" plates for my '80 EA81 Hatchback. Here in Ohio, that plate means that you are exempt from the normal $50 annual tag renewal fee, and get cheaper insurance rates. The latter comes from the annual mileage restriction required for this type of plate. This car will never be my daily driver, so I think I can deal with restricted mileage. The only other requirement is that the car must be 25 years old. My doorplate says that milestone is coming up in February. :brow:

Let's hope there's never a vintage car odometer checkpoint in the future.Mine is just barely used these days but the trip to Carlsile alone eats a good chunk of the allowed mileage....if I were to pay attention to that. :cool:

So,once the model year has hit the showrooms it's considered 25 years old?Or do you have to wait untill the year turns?I never looked into that,but I'd expect to get an '80 registered as classic after September/October of this year.

Let's hope there's never a vintage car odometer checkpoint in the future.Mine is just barely used these days but the trip to Carlsile alone eats a good chunk of the allowed mileage....if I were to pay attention to that. :cool:

So,once the model year has hit the showrooms it's considered 25 years old?Or do you have to wait untill the year turns?I never looked into that,but I'd expect to get an '80 registered as classic after September/October of this year.

If your numbers match, there's a date stamped on the plate inside the driver's door jamb with the month/year of manufacture. The numbers on my Brat don't match because the doors were replaced with passenger car doors. Since they are also transplants my engine and tranny don't match. The 10 digit VIN number stamped on the firewall doesn't contain any real information to the casual eye, only Subaru has the stats on deciphering that by its records (if they're even accessible?)... their website rejected my VIN saying it contained too few numbers. LOL! The VIN numbering system changed in 1983 (I think) to the 17 digit VIN number and they tell a much better story on the stats of the car. Year, body style, drive train... etc. So the little plate inside the door is what you would use for your actual date of manufacture.

Antique cars with matching numbers bring a MUCH higher value to the market... a matched 'Cuda sold for $600,000. on eBay not long ago!