Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4 speed D/R sucks!

well after several nights of ice racing and 4 wheeling through our local pits, the decision is FINAL that my new brat is getting a 5 speed D/R.

The gears are spaced way too far apart for ice racing. I let a buddy drive my wagon (someone who's never driven a EA82 of any style) and he was making better times then me. Going into a corner in 4 high, and then in drop it into 4 Lo right right before the turn starts and then after the turn is complete drop it back into Hi. Not to mention, I HATE how the shifter knocks the t-case out of gear when in reverse.

In the wagon, just keep it in 2nd 4 Hi until the straights and it has no problems.

I realize my EA82 revs higher then my EA81 and I think thats a big part of it. Get the wagon into a corner at 6 grand and it pulls good. The Brat hasnt even hit 6 grand yet.... sorry for complainin so much, just had to get it out of the way

Kelly - The track is out at the end of South Cushman Street. Right now its just an oval track, plowed 2 cars wide, and then in the middle theres a little detour --- A Few S curves. As soon as we get some -30 F nights, the guy will plow the 3 mile track.. now that is Awesome!

Matt - I'm gotta talk to a few people who've done it, and then its going to happen to mine. Do you have a 5 speed D/R down there? If not, I have like 10 of them at work I can get my hands on. I owe ya a free part anyways

i actualy love my 4speed dual range. thats why its sittin behind my xt6 engine right now. its the smoothest nicest subaru tranny i have ever driven, and its got 200k on it. every ea82 tranny i have driven grinds into gears and hates shifting realy fast.

just me.:)

I could see where an extra 65 hp would probably make a lot of difference with the ratio of it. lot more pulling power in lower RPMS

I'll agree with you on they are smooth shifting tranny's (minus the massive shifter slop) I have yet to grind mine. The only problem I've had with EA82 trannys is the damn 3 gear syncro, other then that its been a great tranny

in the past i have taken my 4spd d/r

into the depths of oregon's forest(slimy moss infested places),the deserts of washington(up and past the wild horses national monument where you are not supposed to go),and all around everywherein between spokane and seattle.my engine blew, not my tranny.it was amazing when you reach the top of any hill and see large 4x4's looking in amazement.that was a stock 84 gl wagon.now i have a dual range in the brat.i am sure i will be pleased with it as well.do not be hasty in your decision to get rid of it.check it out for what itis worth and you might find that the brat was just not meant to race on the ice.but, it could take you to a hilltop to watch your friends race....