Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To bore or not to bore ?

I have a 78 EA71 in the the Machine Shop. After getting it all cleaned up, we found that there are some fine scatches on bottom of the cylinders. The Machinist checked that ovalization and found it is worn, however it is with in tolerance (bearly). I am near the end of my budget and worried about paying for the bore job and new pistons.

If you were me, would you brake the budget and get the pistion/ bore job or would you let it slide ???????

How far down the cylinder is it scratched? If it is right down the bottom, it isn't A big prob. If the bore is within manufacturers tolerance, it should be ok, but it really depends how fussy you are. It will certainly mean that the engine will not last as long before another recondition (and re-bore) is needed, but this may not be a prob, as it should still last well enough if it is serviced reguarly. The wear may cause the rings not to seat as well as they could, resulting mainly in slight oil consumption. If the bore is within manufacturers tolerances, the loss in compression should be negligable.