Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can my soob GO?!

I need ideas on what i can do to my 1990 loyale to give it a bit more power, speed, gas mileage, etc. It hates hills and speed. What can be done?

I'm sorry! There is nothing you can do. :( Intake and exhaust mods will help it breathe more/easier. A custom pulley will give it more pep. Perhaps going to a tire size one step down with less sidewall height. Good luck!

this is an EA82 right? are you saying that particular motor isn't doing it for you or are you saying it's running worse than it has in the past. seems like a good running EA82 should be functional. i don't recall my XT (my frist soob, it was like 3 years old) having any problems with speed or hills. it wasn't for racing, but had plenty of power for daily driving.

a quality tune up can do wonders. new spark plugs, ignition wires (i highly recommend magnecor ignition wires), distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, PCV valve. remove any dead weight in the car....lots of tools, random things.

if you do alot of highspeed driving (highway driving, driving up and down mountains in high gear) then open up your exhaust a bit with a better muffler (i've had excellent results with dynomax mufflers) and slightly larger pipe.

if you don't do much high speed driving i would still open the exhaust up some, but not quite as much because you'll loose some low end. if you get the right set up you can probably gain some high end power with little or no loss.

definetly pull the snorkel off the intake and get a drop in K&N or a cone style filter.

how much do you want to spend.....should i keep going? you could pull the heads and have a valve job done and have them ported and polished. about 500 dollars total for that kind of head work (that's for both heads). and another 150 for some aftermarket cams while you have the cams removed for the head work. these prices go through the roof if you're not pulling the heads yourself.

you could swap your EA82 for an EA82T (that's the tubo motor)

It's a '90 Loyagle guys; EA82 SPFI :drunk:

Some good suggestions with the intakes and exhuast. Honestly it should have enough pep to pull itself up hills and maintain 80mph on a freeway.

When was the last tune up? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, PCV valve, all those small parts can add up to some power loss. Even a few HP lost on these is a significant % drop in power. :( Still lack of power after that? Get a compression test done. See how bad your compression is becuase ultimatly thats where your power is coming from.

It's a '90 Loyagle guys; EA82 SPFI :drunk:

My '90 Loyale is MFPI and turbo'd. :grin: But, this is prob an SPFI... automatic??? My rec is normal tuneup stuff like the others have said: Ignition parts (especially plugs), filters, PCV. Might think about O2 sensor... how's the gas mileage?

My minority opinion is that intake mods and exhaust mods are unlikely to get you much if anything... probably not enough bang for the buck with the exhaust; unless yours is in need of replacing, then why not? I do not run intake mods (yet), and have not tested them back to back against stock on strip or dyno, so my opinion is suspect. BUT... mods of this nature have traditionally been done because it makes the car "feel" faster. More noise and fury makes you feel more powerful. Modified cams are a 2-edged sword, because they typically take something away from smooth idle and low-speed performance to give you some top end... but you really need to go to better valve springs and lighter spring retainers to get full benefit.