Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I usually dont do "sighted" threads but...

On my mourning commute I was just glancing at all the newer Subarus on the road... hoping to see one built prior to 1990 :-p

Passed this Outback sport wagon and started coming up on a first gen Legacy L wagon. As I pass the Legacy L I can't help but notice the driver is on the WRONG side of the car. Totaly cool! Never seen a Right Handed Driven car before.... wonder where he had it shipped in from? Might have been an old mail delivery vehicle? Who knows but it was cool :drunk:

On my mourning commute I was just glancing at all the newer Subarus on the road... hoping to see one built prior to 1990 :-p

Passed this Outback sport wagon and started coming up on a first gen Legacy L wagon. As I pass the Legacy L I can't help but notice the driver is on the WRONG side of the car. Totaly cool! Never seen a Right Handed Driven car before.... wonder where he had it shipped in from? Might have been an old mail delivery vehicle? Who knows but it was cool :drunk:

there are lots of Legacy RHD mail cars out there.... my father-in-law is a rural carrier. I keep trying to get him to get one :)

I seen a few of those mail carriers, pretty cool I must say! Awhile ago when my Camaro was still on the road, I passed an asian guy in the Honda and noticed the same thing! I was so confused until I seen the back of it which had japanese plates on it. Even though it was a Honda, even worse a Civic, it was RHD!!!

Ah, children, children, you're showing your age ... or rather, lack of same. After WWII there were lot's of RHD cars on the American scene. Our GI's that were stationed in England (and there were a LOT of them, especially Army Air Corps), became enamored of English soports cars. NOTHING in Amreican made cars could drive like a sports car then.

SO, they bought English cars and had them shipped over. It took a few years for the English auto industry to recover from war damage and start building cars again, when they started building LHD sports cars for the US market.

BTW the problem with new drivers in driving on the 'wrong' side of the road isn't the driving position, it's the fact that new drivers look the wrong way at intersections, pull out in front of on-coming cars, and get T-Boned BIG TIME.

The problem is trying to see if the road is clear to pass other cars, from the passenger seat!

On a funny but serious note, dogs do not understand about left and right hand drive.

I brought an Australian dog to America when I got married.

The first day in the USA he leapt (full running speed) into the steering wheel and turn signal of my Blazer, thinking it was the passenger side.

I tried to tell him.

He did, on the other hand learn quickly about looking the other way for cars.

Squirrells he never, ever got used to.

Or lightning bugs.

A funny thing about right hand drive cars: I had drive and had to align a right hand drive Legacy, it seemed to speed up when turned to the right and slow down when turned to the left, I thought there was something wrong with it untill I drove a few GM Postal LLV's They do the same thing, must have something to do with the road crown. Wierd.:confused: