Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH MAN, this was a good thread until the wheel hp was mentioned. BS is not even the word for this. I have built a couple EA82T in the past and there is no way you are making that kind of power, NONE! There are so many issues to resolve in the EA82T before you can even get half that whp.OK let me see if i got this straight. You are using the stock flapper door? stock injectors? and stock turbo?? All of those are MAXED out at around 200 crank hp. Dude, have you ever compared your turbo to one that can actually make 280whp (vf30,34,22). I like your dyno slip post, WTF is that from, definitely not a 1.8l engine. You have 250ft lbs of torque at 2000rpms LOL LOL LOL with "big cams" no less. What dyno was this and what load variable were you using because the hp/tq failed to cross at 5200 rpms, not that it matters because the car dynoed was not turbocharged or even a subaru. Man you can fool some guys sometimes but please dont insult us.

You mention some ET's but failed to post MPH. ET is all about traction, MPH is about power, with 283whp 120MPH trap is not unreasonable. LOL

Just for kicks punch some numbers in here and see how much boost it will take to make 315hp with a 1.8l engine!

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=turbo.htm&url=http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html Somewhere in the neighbor of 24 very efficient PSI

"The power increase on my motor is from 120hp to 283 which is only 163hp" Your car stock at best will put 90hp to the wheels, so that is 193hp gain WOW... LOL not bad! If you're gonna BS make it BIG!

Thanks Dennis for telling me about this link, I got a good laugh!

I'll be taking my car to a different shop over in the next city because i think the thing is wrong by a bit and i just lost $50 bucks for a crappy dyno. My one buddy has a gadget called a Tazzo something like a gtech pro, and we punched in the cars weight and added ours and it showed 246hp to the wheels under load , we tried it a few times and each time it was within a few hp and these things are supposed to be accurate. So until the car goes to a diff dyno machine this will have to do. I still say the hp is up there because how else am i able to beat wrx's and talons from rolling starts, not off the line until my wheelspin problem is solved. So think what you want but i have a few quick cars and have driven and built many and i know once this thing hooks up it will be interesting.

im sorry dude

but steve is right...

when thinking all of this out, theres obviously way more to deal with on an EA82T than bolt ons and cranking up boost. theres just a ton of things to factor in as mentioned above (i.e. MAF, injectors, turbo, cooling) as well as an EA82T only having 3 main bearings...an example: SOA had an RX rally car in the late 80s and early 90s that was squeezing out about what youre claiming, and they were replacing engines everyother race.

our cars were simply not made for this kind of thing, but there are a few of us who are out there trying to push the proverbial envelope to get more out of these engines.

where is that dyno sheet really from? looks like a small block chevy or maybe a 302.

Look, bolt ons and boost dont add anything significant to these engines. They certinly help. But not the boost...until you make the enigne breathe better.

Now I dont want to start some kind of war here, but with a proper cam, intake/exhaust and timing tuning, and proper fuel...I think 300 is not out of the question as long as everything else on the engine is in TOP form.

My RX's engine was not in TOP form, but really close. With a 2.5 DP(and nothing else), and a 3inch cone filter plopped on the MAF, these massive cams from delta...the car was freaking fast. No chance to dyno it due to headgasket issues, but it was fast. Burn all 4 off no problem, with 205/60-13 BFG comp T/A tires.

I did have a 180 t-stat in it, and a new rad, so it never got hot...until the HGs went. Now if my RX wasent in peices, I throw some HGs in it, and take it to the dyno day on saturday.

bah... i dunno that much about these things so i'm not sayin anything either way..

but my 69hp ea81 hatch will smoke all 4 in 4low on dry pavement all the way through first gear.. lol.. i only know this cause i scared a riceboy in an eclipse last night while heading to the exhaust shop..

will

im not disagreeing with you but i am however, disagreeing with cams generating an extra 200WHP on a largely stock engine and management system.

honestly burning all 4s doesnt impress me much - i have 205-60-14s and i could lay tracks all day because of the power the VF11 added over the stock unit, and was doing it with the 15s i had before. im aware that the cams are number one in gaining serious power, but an upgraded turbocharger isnt far down the list my man...

ill revise what ive been saying all along - these engines will not generate 300HP without a bigger turbo, new fuel system, cams, and aftermarket engine management.

By the way i do have moded injectors out of a late 80's 5.7 camaro, a fuel pump from a 95 twin turbo supra moded a little to work in my car, the stock turbo has been polished for cleaner flow, By the way your still not reading everything that has been done to the motor, eg. front mount intercooler, front mount oil cooler, 160 degree therm, and i do have a new rad coming soon to get it even cooler. Got a question for ya how many actual engines have you built? 1. I build at least 8 a year, not jap though this is my first, and i started building my own engines many years ago. I just moved to this city so the shop where they did the dyno messed up and gave me the wrong one, but i'm going back to my home city this spring so i'll take the car to a shop that i have been dealing with for years. When i get the proper dyno you will see that i am right. If you don't know what a Tazzo is look it up and you will see that NHRA, road and track, hot rod and many more have used them to test cars so they have to be somewhat accurate.

If you even knew anything at all about motors and building them you would know that heads and cams are the most important thing for increasing hp in a motor. The heads have been ported polished and shaved, and you know about the cams and other stuff, so if you don't know what your talking about don't post anymore.

I dont want to get involved, but a FMIC will not add power on a dyno. there is little to no airflow across thecore so the intake temp will probably be just the same as it was without an IC. And why do you seem to insist that a front mount oil cooler would do anything but cool the oil? if anything cooler, thicker oil will use up horsepower, so I dont see how that would work. Why didnt you list your fuel mods earlier, and how do you have the stock computer controlling camaro injectors? I could see the computer MAYBE driving them, but your car must idle and run like crap! Oh, and I have built motors, so...

I'm gonna jump in with both feet quick and just mention that "Massive Cams" do nothing for a turbo engine except pressureize the exhaust with unburnt AF mix, any engine builder worth his salt knows that on N/A engines massive cams help Horse power but raise the torque band as a byproduct, in a turbo the big cam hurts performance. I may not have built 8 engines last year but i am ASE certified and my vote goes with Dennis

Just a little somthing else i noticed, how come your torque and hp are different at 5252, shouldn't they be the same and if this bad boy is making the power at 3000-7000 wheres the 5000-7000 graph?

for those that don't build 8 engines a year, torque and HP are exactly the same at 5252 its a physical law dealing with the formulas to calculate hp.

Look, here is what im gonna do. I will take a largely stock RX (bottomless air intake box and glass pack are only mods) and put it on a dyno. Next, I will slap MY RX's Delta cams in the wagon, and go make a pull on the dyno with that.

And we will see whats what.

If you even knew anything at all about motors and building them you would know that heads and cams are the most important thing for increasing hp in a motor. The heads have been ported polished and shaved, and you know about the cams and other stuff, so if you don't know what your talking about don't post anymore.

Well I know a little about building engines. I helped build Dennis's first turbo engine. I mostly know the EJ engines because i gave up on the EA's. I have ported EA turbo heads and there isnt much that can be done with them, you should know larger ports doesnt mean more flow! You cant shave them enough to make a difference in anything. Maybe you noticed that the intake bolts didnt line up very well after the heads were shaved. Also when you shave suby heads the cam timing goes south. Higher compression on a turbo engine doesnt help anything other then detonation. You have modded injectors from a camaro. I would like to see that! You know that the 5.7l late 80's camaro engine made only 245hp and had 23.92lb injectors. To produce the "claimed 315hp" you would need 49lb injectors. Check here if you dont believe me http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/fuelinjectors.htm

There is no way you can control 49lb injectors in your car. The most amusing thing about this thread it that you are running a stock turbo. Have you ever seen the stock turbocharger??Have you seen a turbo that can make 280whp?? there is NO comparison. I wish i could find a flow map for the stock turbo, that would be good for another laugh. Porting a turbo does very very little, you need to change the turbine size. I called your BS on that sorry dyno plot and you made some lame excuse. You are gonna run out of excuses very soon. Maybe you didnt bother to read my last post but you would need around 24 PSI to make the claimed HP, you are running what 11psi?? the stock turbo wont push more then about 17psi and then it's effiency is soo low is worthless. I encourage you to play with these calculators to see just how stupid your posts sound to people that know what they are talking about.

The stock wrx has about 160whp, thats with great 4 valve heads, 3 cats and all the other mods you mentioned plus a much larger turbo. Your numbers dont add up. Sorry man

All you have to do is post a REAL dyno slip making just 200whp and i will delete all my posts and never doubt you again. Thats it!

How about some pics of this 283whp XT

Would pics from the Tazzo while in my car do until i get it redynoed at a shop that i know and trust? By the way i am running a front mount intercooler plus the oil cooler, and i am running 17psi with 103 octane vp racing unleaded fuel.