Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Advice - I Don't trust this mechanic!

What in the heck is a bellows boot? I have How To Keep Your Subaru Alive and see the CV, DOJ and gearbox boots. But evidently this mechanic (a nationwide tire/suspension chain!) wants to replace my entire rack and pinion (I just had a used one put in last year!) because the Bellows boot is cracked and leaking fluid.

Any help is appreciated!

The bellows boot is the ribbed rubber boot that is located on the inner part of the rack. I have one leaking too. My question is this, unless the rack and pinion is damaged severely, why doesn't he just replace the bellows boot? It's not like they aren't available at most autoparts stores. Maybe you should ask him that.

Most of the chains are conditioned to sell units rather than repair them. Not really their fault though. A lot of them have been burned repairing them and having them go out shortly thereafter. Replacing the boot will not solve the problem though. All the bellows is is a dust cover/protector. If it is leaking then you have seal problems. I do not know if you can service them without Subaru dealer tools though.

Go see Steve at Steve's Pacific Import Repair. His number is 253.536.0389. He is open Tuesday through Saturday. He does Subaru specifically and should be close to you. Tell him Ken sent you and he will take care of you.

Qman is right on about the boot. It simply keeps the crap out to prolong seal life. Speaking to a local subaru tech, I am told the rack is non-serviceable.

I am replacing mine this weekend. Honestly its one of the easiest racks I have ever pulled from a car. Took about 20 minutes to pull my replacement rack from the parts car. a few basic hand tools and and a pickle fork (which can be rented from autozone), you could do it yourself.

I have to disagree. My XT had its bellows literally in pieces when I got it, it was leaking ATF all over the exhaust manifold to the extent that smoke would emanate from it when it would sit for a while and I would need to pour more ATF in it about once every week when the pump would start moaning. I replaced the bellows and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

THANKS!

Most of the chains are conditioned to sell units rather than repair them. Not really their fault though. A lot of them have been burned repairing them and having them go out shortly thereafter. Replacing the boot will not solve the problem though. All the bellows is is a dust cover/protector. If it is leaking then you have seal problems. I do not know if you can service them without Subaru dealer tools though.

Go see Steve at Steve's Pacific Import Repair. His number is 253.536.0389. He is open Tuesday through Saturday. He does Subaru specifically and should be close to you. Tell him Ken sent you and he will take care of you.

exactly.

So you guys think that if I squeeze one of my bellows, I could see a whole bunch of ATF squirt out in many directions??? :(

gary... i think the hard part would involve special tools rather than parts. for example, you can get a selection of o-rings pretty easily, but pulling the inner tie rod ends is a little more specialized... it might be worth a look though.

• 5 years later...
someone mentioned to me recently that subaru carries steering rack rebuild kits for the XT6 for around 40.00. i've never checked into it myself though. if that is true, it would include any seal you would need to fix that leak.

What's funny is I have one... it was in the rear pocket of my XT-6 for the longest time... Wonder if it's still there...

What's funny is I have one... it was in the rear pocket of my XT-6 for the longest time... Wonder if it's still there...

if it is post up the part number for the kit... mine is leaking, was thinking about buying an ebay rebuilt, but may go this route and see how hard it is to do.. im always up for a challenge :)