Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Differential Locker

subaru_stu

Do any auto parts people make a differential locker fo a '92 Subaru Legacy w/Turbo? I'm an old Stock Car racer, used to the Ford 9 inch; there was a main spool that took the place of the spider gears. I'd like to do the same for all 3 diff's in the Subaru. I'll be using it for ice racing. The tires are always spinning so differentiating is not necessary. Maybe I'll have to weld the stock spiders.

I would also like to get a lighter flywheel - pressure plate setup. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stu

Arch's coustin welded the rear diff, front diff, and center diff all solid. This is on a street machine also :brow:

Rage it !_!

Welded the front for the street? Man, I hope he don't have to turn!!

I had an old toyota truck that was locked front and rear, and that thing was a b--ch to turn in the dirt! Needless to say, I didn't keep it loked in the front very long after I got it.

I call BS on that Morgan. Something like that is ok for the dirt, might be pretty radical for a Soob. But for the street ? I dont think so :rolleyes:

Call BS all you want bud; its still the truth.

It's not like welding the front diff is impossible or never been done before....

Maybe he doesnt belive all the hype and does what he wants to his car; insread of what everyone else thinks he can or can't do?

Call BS all you want bud; its still the truth.

It's not like welding the front diff is impossible or never been done before....

Maybe he doesnt belive all the hype and does what he wants to his car; insread of what everyone else thinks he can or can't do?

He doesn't have to believe the hype. But I bet he hates parrallel parking. lol

I drove a short distance on the road in a scout 80 with a welded front and no power steering with the hubs locked in. The turning circle was not much worse, but you had to hang onto the steering wheel with both hands through a turn cause it was always trying to lurch back to center. Then my stupid friend tried to drive it with one hand, and dislocated his thumb. Still, it was pretty insane what the thing could drive up. If there was a way to disconnect the front end quickly like with manual hubs, I'd be telling everyone to do it. Its not so bad in the dirt. Theres a thing you can do called the "fozzy" locker, which leaves some play in the side gears when you weld it. I allows almost a quarter turn at the wheel, so that would help alot during stationary or near stationary turning.

I drove a short distance on the road in a scout 80 with a welded front and no power steering with the hubs locked in. The turning circle was not much worse, but you had to hang onto the steering wheel with both hands through a turn cause it was always trying to lurch back to center. Then my stupid friend tried to drive it with one hand, and dislocated his thumb. Still, it was pretty insane what the thing could drive up. If there was a way to disconnect the front end quickly like with manual hubs, I'd be telling everyone to do it. Its not so bad in the dirt. Theres a thing you can do called the "fozzy" locker, which leaves some play in the side gears when you weld it. I allows almost a quarter turn at the wheel, so that would help alot during stationary or near stationary turning.

When I first bought an old toyota, it had a Detriot in the front. It was great in the rocks, and the mud, as long as I didn't have to turn. Tight trails suckes as well, and using 4wd in the ice and snow, well when it was snowy and cy i would unlock one hub and go in 3 wheel drive. I took the detroit out of the fri=ont and ran a lsd and was much happier like that and it wasn't as scary in the ice. Still, with the locked rear, it still wanted to swap ends in the ice if you weren'rt real careful.