Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MAACO paint work question

i think it is some franchises are better than others.i used the one by me twice and have had nothing but luck.they painted my 360 sedan for 500 including rust work.the paint is three years old now, and still looks and shines nice.i only know of one rust bubble on the whole car.i also had a honda painted by them, and will for shure use them again.i would recomend the maaco in middletown NY, but i don`t know about others.i would still say, go for it!

good luck, jon

You would be surprised how good of a job you can get at a regular body shop if you are just upfront and tell them you want a "Maaco" type job. I had a 79 wagon painted years ago for about $375 and it was awesome looking.... I did do my own rust work and striped it of everything I could get off of it but I left all the windows in place etc.

Years ago my uncle who lived out near Altoona knew a guy who did roller jobs on cars for about $20 if you provided the paint. :lol:

A guy at work has a 74 beetle that was done with a sponge brush...not too shabby when it was fresh but years later the orange is fading..... time to crack out the sponges again.:D

Some shops will shoot your car if you prep and tape. They usually will not guarentee anything, however.

BTW, for those of you who are interested in learning more about "Alley" paint method, a write-up, complete with pix, is in the works. I'm going to start painting my current project right after the Columbus meet at the end of the month.

John

• 2 months later...
I used Maaco a few years ago. Paid for the "premium" service. $900 wasted. Just terrible. I have no idea how Maaco remains in business. Under the topcoat is suppose to be a coat of primer-sealer. At least I paid for it. But where the topcoat has flaked off I can see Maaco didn't even bother the primer the car. I won't let Maaco repaint any vehicle of mine.

Forgot to mention the shifter. I was told if I brought the car in on Sat. it would be ready Mon. Monday turned into Sat. I thought it was nice that the car was placed in front of the shop when I went to get it. Learned why after I got home and went to back out the driveway. The shifter fell apart went I went to place it into reverse. Just one of those things? I don't think so.

PREACH ON! I got one of my cars painted there before I learned how to paint. 1 week afterwards. CHIPS FLAKING OFF! No primer what so ever which I paid for also. On top of that you have to sign a waiver saying you will not hold them responsible for mechanical damages. I got a flat tire, a blown out throw bearing, and the arm rest on the interior door torn off. I ***************ed at them for so long. I had a 6 month warranty. When I took it back a couple of days later with paint peeling they didn't want to repaint the car. WASTE of money.

Few years later...working in a tint shop with a co-worker who was a former maaco employee. Eye opener. They mistreat every car apparently. And if you're an rump roast to them, even more so. They claim to hand sand and primer...apparently you are lucky if you even get the car ran over with a scotch brite pad. To remove dents on the front end they hook up the cars to the chain links in the floor...(like most shops) but unlike most shops they then turn the car on, pop it in reverse, and just floor the sucker with smoking the tires. I will never use maaco again, and I would never recomend it to anyone. I would suggest spray painting your car before you go maaco...sometimes it looks better too.

here's one of my XT6's with a MAACO paint job that is very new. previous owner had it done. they blew right over some rust around the bottom, so the prep job wasn't perfect. cosmetically appealing at the moment.

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

it's the red one about half way down. file is too large to post here.

Just an update on my fabulous MAACO paint job. Paint is now about 5 years old and has at most 6Kmiles on it. Took the car out last week to burn the rust off the rotors and decided to wash and wax it. Stopped at the car wash. As I sprayed the car down I couldn't help but notice the WATER was cutting the paint off the mirror housings and blowing postage-size and larger larger chunks of paint off both bumpers. Drove home and parked and covered the car. Didn't bother with the wax because IMO wax on this paint is just a waste of good wax. Just for a moment I thought about the MAACO warranty still in the glove box. Nah, really bad idea. Why take a problem to whomever it was that created the problem?