Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MAACO paint work question

I used MAACO some years ago for some paint work and was rather satisfied. (Of course I had the car stripped of all the things that would unbolt, unstick or un fasten!)

Anybody with recent MAACO experience or suggestions???

Todd

I used Maaco a few years ago. Paid for the "premium" service. $900 wasted. Just terrible. I have no idea how Maaco remains in business. Under the topcoat is suppose to be a coat of primer-sealer. At least I paid for it. But where the topcoat has flaked off I can see Maaco didn't even bother the primer the car. I won't let Maaco repaint any vehicle of mine.

Forgot to mention the shifter. I was told if I brought the car in on Sat. it would be ready Mon. Monday turned into Sat. I thought it was nice that the car was placed in front of the shop when I went to get it. Learned why after I got home and went to back out the driveway. The shifter fell apart went I went to place it into reverse. Just one of those things? I don't think so.

I had them paint a car for me once. My mistake I'll never have a car painted by them again. I used to paint for a living but hadn't painted for many years so I decided to have them do it rather than me. I prepared the car myself. Removed all chrome and etc. Sanded the car fixed all the dents and did all the body work. The car looked ok when I got it but in six months looked terrible. I did not use there cheapest paint either. The next car I painted myself and looked great and still does after more than a year. The paint they use is cheap and not worth putting on a car. I am like John I don't know how they stay in business. From now on I will do my own. I know most people do not have that option but don't waste hard earned money with them. They are cheaper but for a reason.

cjt

I used Maaco a few years ago. Paid for the "premium" service. $900 wasted. Just terrible. I have no idea how Maaco remains in business. Under the topcoat is suppose to be a coat of primer-sealer. At least I paid for it. But where the topcoat has flaked off I can see Maaco didn't even bother the primer the car. I won't let Maaco repaint any vehicle of mine.

Forgot to mention the shifter. I was told if I brought the car in on Sat. it would be ready Mon. Monday turned into Sat. I thought it was nice that the car was placed in front of the shop when I went to get it. Learned why after I got home and went to back out the driveway. The shifter fell apart went I went to place it into reverse. Just one of those things? I don't think so.

for 900 i can go to a real auto body shop and get mine painted. wow what a rip off.

mine was repainted about seven years ago by Maaco - had to be done twice, b/c they did not do proper prep the first time - and now that the paint is flaking off, I can see they did not do it right the second time either - would NEVER use them again - I found a good local shop, that is about as expensive as their "premium" deal - but they actually do the work

Wow! Interesting stories. My history with them was never that bad, but I was always "popping in" (Multiple-times daily)

Now the paint I had applied on 2 cars is still fine. (Done in 1994 and 1995) I guess every location is different with no consistency between shops.

I think I'll look around.

I'm kinda an amature body man, and I've had MAACO (and Earl Scheib along time ago) shoot a few finish coats for me.

All those places are pretty bad. But if you do the prep, and get a basic paint job, it's not too bad a deal. I'm taking 300--400 out of pocket, and some of your own labor to properly prepare the metal.

Better yet, invest some $$ into some equipment, and di the job yourself.

Think of it this way, the boys at MACCO have only a little more experience painting than you do. The most important thing bnesides the compressor and quality gun, is having a clean, well ventilated space to work in.

You can do a very repectile job using Rustoleum, or Farm & Fleet type paint (my preference). This is a very easy and cost effective way to paint your car. Regular car paint can be used too, but it's a little more complicated, because it must be mixed.

Email me for details on the Alleyboy "farmer" paint system, if anyone is interested

John

thealleyboy@yahoo.com

I'm kinda an amature body man, and I've had MAACO (and Earl Scheib along time ago) shoot a few finish coats for me.

All those places are pretty bad. But if you do the prep, and get a basic paint job, it's not too bad a deal. I'm taking 300--400 out of pocket, and some of your own labor to properly prepare the metal.

Better yet, invest some $$ into some equipment, and di the job yourself.

Think of it this way, the boys at MACCO have only a little more experience painting than you do. The most important thing bnesides the compressor and quality gun, is having a clean, well ventilated space to work in.

You can do a very repectile job using Rustoleum, or Farm & Fleet type paint (my preference). This is a very easy and cost effective way to paint your car. Regular car paint can be used too, but it's a little more complicated, because it must be mixed.

Email me for details on the Alleyboy "farmer" paint system, if anyone is interested

John

thealleyboy@yahoo.com

"Email me for details on the Alleyboy "farmer" paint system, if anyone is interested"

I'm interested!!

email me subaru3@aol.com

Thanks!

Todd

Thanks to alleyboy for the info and the quick reply when I emailed him.

I have a related question: years ago a car painting method was advertised where the paint was applied by a pad that was dipped into the paint. The pad had a sort of cloth surface on it and supposedly did not leave brush or swirl marks. Carrying this a step further, has anyone tried painting an area like a hood using a paint roller?

Ray Mac

I have a related question: years ago a car painting method was advertised where the paint was applied by a pad that was dipped into the paint. The pad had a sort of cloth surface on it and supposedly did not leave brush or swirl marks. Carrying this a step further, has anyone tried painting an area like a hood using a paint roller?

Ray Mac

what would one gain from this? sounds like the paint would have to be really thin for it to work.

Ray Mac

My uncle always roller paints his cars. He uses rustoleum paint and a roller. Uses a detail brush around all the trim and things. It's not perfectly smooth but from about 5ft it looks fine. He usualy puts decals on and trim pieces to hide it a bit later. :) Usually looks good. I would think if you buffed it out (which he doesn't do) that you could get it pretty nice looking.

He has even made stensils out of card board for design. He had a truck with an american flag painted across it. Now he has a little yota truck that is army green with a big white star on the door. :)

I have done 3 rattle can paint jobs now that aren't bad. just make sure the wind is not blowing. Made a real mess that way and had to do it over.

Get creative!

it will look gross like when jeremy clarkson painted the 928 on top gear

?HUH?? i have adelphia cable, they suck and we got no speed channel. i want speed channel so bad.. but i do plan on clar coating overthe black, just gotta find the right paint.

A word about non-spray paint jobs...

The main problem with this is the paint itself. Most of the paints used anymore are enamels. Enamels cure slowly, and sanding kills the gloss. If you paint with a pad, roller, brush, etc the paint will not go on smooth enough for most people. Sanding or buffing will smooth it out, but the shine will be gone cause you really have to cut the paint to get the bumps out.

If you do want to try to get a decent job without spraying, I would recommend a non-enamel paint. I dont know if laquer is available in an easy to use form, but it would the ideal product. It drys quickly, and can be sanded agressively. You can build up several coats - then wax over it.

This is similar to the way they did things back in Henry Ford's day, and it might be worth a shot if you don't want to spray it on.

good luck, John

I suggest renting a sprayer/compressor and doing it yourself with the appropriate paint.

My husband and I did a roller paint job on his Thiokol snowcat. Didn't turn out too bad actually, but it's definitely 'orange peeled'. The type of roller that you use will give you less orange peel effect if you did end up rolling it on. VERY SHORT nap will give you less orange peel. We used a short nap, but not the shortest available because we wanted a good thick coat and we only had 2 gallons (it was close-out paint that was already mixed). You can see the paint on this website http://www.geocities.com/snow_toaster/ (We stripped it down to bare aluminum before painting). NOTE: we got a better digi cam last year, so the later pics/pages are much clearer than the earlier pics/pages.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm,am I about the only one with a GOOD paint job by Maaco? Had them completely strip and repaint my 1993 Corsica and it looked great even a year old. Not sure how long that would have lasted though,considering a year after it was painted, it was wrecked....:banghead: