Ultimate Subaru Message Board

matching paint for touch-ups? And sticker removal?

Are there matching spray paints for the Soob colors? I've looked at the auto parts stores and WalMart, and they don't carry much for Soob colors other than the white and silver. I am needing the touch-up color for the burgundy/maroon color on an 86 GL. Subaru dealership?

The previous owner put some stickers on the paint of this car (one of my pet peeves, stickers are OK on windows because they are easy to remove, but I hate stickers on the paint unless they are 'timeless' stickers related to the car like 4WD or something). These stickers are stuck on GOOD too - any ideas on sticker removal so I don't mess up the finish underneath too bad?

Howdie, I've used Color-Rite (http://www.color-rite.com/) to get touch-up paint for both my jetski and my Dodge Truck. Not super cheap, butthey were prompt and courteous. Seems to be a good product, too. I have also purchased factory touch-up paint from the Subaru dealership.

As for sticker removal, you might try a hair dryer, but others might have an opinion? I used this method for taking nasty stickers off the painted surface of my vehicles before. I then used some lacquer thinner to remove the residue. Just make sure that you use a soft rag, and that the paint doesn't come off. You do this by making sure the rag you use doesn't start to become the same color as your vehicle!

Are there matching spray paints for the Soob colors? I've looked at the auto parts stores and WalMart, and they don't carry much for Soob colors other than the white and silver. I am needing the touch-up color for the burgundy/maroon color on an 86 GL. Subaru dealership?

The previous owner put some stickers on the paint of this car (one of my pet peeves, stickers are OK on windows because they are easy to remove, but I hate stickers on the paint unless they are 'timeless' stickers related to the car like 4WD or something). These stickers are stuck on GOOD too - any ideas on sticker removal so I don't mess up the finish underneath too bad?

The WD40 works great for sticker residue, but doesn't touch these stickers. I will try the hair dryer though (I don't have a heat gun). Will have to string out an extention cord :P

Do you know where the paint color code is on an 86 GL wagon?

The WD40 works great for sticker residue, but doesn't touch these stickers. I will try the hair dryer though (I don't have a heat gun). Will have to string out an extention cord :P

Do you know where the paint color code is on an 86 GL wagon?

im afraid that your paint is surely faded a bit by now and factory paint prabably wont match what you have.

I don't know if you can get it in the states, but i used a hair dryer to get the sticker off then "Tea tree oil" to get the sticky residue off. It worked really fast and its a natural product that won't damage the paint.

Be gentle though, you can take the paint with the sticker. So use heat and the tea tree oil to get the sticker off.

And the paint code should be above the front left headlight. It should be 3 numbers. Mine is white and has a paint code of 828.

I have a burgandy sube, and the pain colour is 09,.. and im looking for some paint to fix up a few small spots of rust

I also want to remove the 4WD sticker and the Sportswagon stickers beacuse they have cracked, faded and look crap now.

After I remove them I will be wanting to buy some new stickers:brow:

(I realy shouldn't steal this thread but I was gonna start this topic tonight anyway)

I have a burgandy sube, and the pain colour is 09,.. and im looking for some paint to fix up a few small spots of rust

I also want to remove the 4WD sticker and the Sportswagon stickers beacuse they have cracked, faded and look crap now.

After I remove them I will be wanting to buy some new stickers:brow:

(I realy shouldn't steal this thread but I was gonna start this topic tonight anyway)

To get the stickers off...

Buy a bottle of tea tree oil from a supermarket/chemist. Saturate the sticker with the tea tree oil and then heat it up with a hair dryer a gently peel the label off. Scrub the remaining sticky residue with a paper towel and tea tree oil and it will come off surprsingly easy. (I tried many things, including specialty products on my 18 yr old boot lid, and i found tea tree oil to be by far the best)

To get new stickers. I doubt you'd be able to get them from Subaru... maybe you can. I'd try to get them custom made from some kind of printer business... i don't know.

But to get paint, i used to work at an auto shop that would make custom paint. You can buy a 300g presurised pack for $28.50, which gives a good result. But you would be better off buying a 1 litre tin ($22) of custom paint and using a compressor to apply it... but if you want an excellent result... take it to a panel beater and get them to respray the affected areas.

But to make custom paint, we just put your make, year of manufacture, and colour code into a comp. program and it comes out with a recipe. You might even find one on the internet if you're lucky and try to do it yourself. I'd put it in for you, but i don't work there anymore...

take the fuel fill door off and bring it to a paint store. have them mix a aerosol can up of that color.

Otherwise you arent gonna get the right color of paint.. Trust me, we've tried at work.. it never comes out the righ color unless you do it this way

I had CarQuest mix me up a spray can of '96 Subaru Green. I'm sure they could do the same for '86 Subaru colors.

I didn't know that you could get spray can's mixed special! Very neat! I'm going to take Torxxx's idea with the gas door into some paint stores and see what I can come up with.

And, I do have tea tree oil, so I'll give that a whirl on the sticker removal too :)

WD40 is pretty good ad dissolving the glue on stickers.

WD40 is pretty good ad dissolving the glue on stickers.

and that was what I first tried - I used 1/4 of a can of the stuff and didn't get one bit of sticker off :P One sticker is plastic coated, the other is metallic. There is the 'left-overs' from a third sticker that the WD40 didn't touch either - the residue looks like glue on that one though :banghead:

A good place for Paint Kit for repair chips and scratchs is www.paintchipkit.com

they can match any color and it's a kit so you get everything you need. I think it's on sale right now. :)

On the stickers I sell some stuff that is for removing adhesive it's like $8 a can. I have never tried it though so I couldn't tell you if it's good or not.

good info here! I am getting ready to paint soon and I need to remove some of the adhesive from the trim ...

where did you find your tea tree oil Karinvail?

*edit*

P.S. oh and I also had a question about paint ... I'm not looking to match my current paint, but would anyone know what base type of primers/paints will be compatible? Can we just use a laquer based paint?

good info here! I am getting ready to paint soon and I need to remove some of the adhesive from the trim ... where did you find your tea tree oil Karinvail?

You can get the tea tree at WalMart in the vitamins section - or a pharmacy should have it. I think the 2oz. bottle is about $4.50 at WalMart.