Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some new stuff.

Another day off, another day to work on the car. I got a few things in the mail and. One thing was a new boost guage. The old one was starting to freak out, and I couldnt trust it anymore. The new one is backlit, which is alot better than what I had before.

DSC00458.sized.jpg

I also stopped and got some paint and sand paper. I chose Dark ford blue engine enamel. It sais its rated to 550 degree's so I figure it should be good enough for my intake pipe:

DSC00459.sized.jpg

I even used it to paint the silicone elbow comming from my turbo. It worked out okay, but its already comming off. I'll just have to replace it.

Here are some pix of the pipe hanging from fishing line...

DSC00453.thumb.jpgDSC00452.thumb.jpgDSC00454.thumb.jpg

Stay tuned cause there's another day off tomorrow :)

-Brian

pretty colors. I think you need two of those saab units, there looks like there is enough room. have you thought about a deflector to keep hot engine air off the intercooler and a hood scoop to deflect cold air in?

Hey, where the hell does the spare wheel go??????

just a question...but why didn't you mount the I/C a little closer to the motor instead of right over the spare tire well.. You'd be better to move it forward 6 inches or so and allow the air to exit over top of the tranny.

looks good though.

i'd also run the bpv "inlet" right off the charge pipe going into your intercooler...You want the "outlet" of the bpv to be the long pipe...not the other way around....you'll get MUCH better throttle response when you shift

I mounted it there cause thats where the pipe put it. If my bends were a little tighter and the pipe out of my turbo was alittle tighter, I could probably move the IC up a couple inches. But it went there upon install, and I set the mounts back there as well. it has plenty of space under the IC:

DSC00433.sized.jpg

Im thinking of installing a fan under the IC to suck air in. We'll see after I install the scoop and see where the air flows.

On the BPV, i need to do more work on that. Do you mean put the valve closer to the intake pipe? or move it alltogether?

-Brian

right now the line going to your BPV from the throttle body area does this:

4 inch hose, into 90 degree angle, into 4 inch hose, into t fitting, into 10-12 inches of hose, into BPV inlet.

If you move the BPV before all this crap you will get better response.. right now when you floor it you need to fill that mess of hoses, and eblows and t's.

If you have the inlet of the BPV right ont he charge pipe (just before the throttle body)... then you need to fill MAYBE 1-2 inches of hose.

Think of it this way....i tell you to blow up 2 balloons...one the normal party size, and the second the size of a beach ball....Which would you rather blow up??? And which one are you going to have done sooner??? Simply the beach ball sized ballon has more volume.....now picture the turbo as you blowing up the balloons.

Simply..the less volume that the turbo must fill with air, the quicker you will get full boost.

Will it won't make a huge difference....but any little bit helps

So...what you'll need to do....is drill and weld another "bung" onto your elbow which goes into the turbo. One for the BOV and one for the idle air control valve.

The new gauge rocks. The needle doesnt vibrate on boost and I can clearly read what PSI im running at. Looks like it peaks at 7psi, but we'll see what we can do about that :brow:

-Brian

I know that most stock boost gauges are not very accurate (at all!!). That new gauge should do you a lot of good and will be a lot safer. What kind of turbo timer are you using??

Turbo TImer...? Uhm, usually when I park... i sit for a few seconds. Then remove the face plate from my stereo. Set the parking brake & by the time Im done with all that I hope my turbo has spooled down then I shut the engine off :)

-Brian

You may want to get one - its not just to let the turbo spool down. Their main purpose is to let the turbo cool down with oil running through so that oil doesn't burn and stick to the bearings. This can take a few minutes.

Some newer cars don't need them, as the oil will still flow through the turbo by convection (apparently! ) after you shut the engine off. Dont think an ea82t would be like this though.