Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interior design pet peeves

There are a couple interior design peeves I have for the Soob's - one is that there is no where for a drink holder - and two, that stupid coin holder (crumb/dust collector) under the e-brake lever. I *hate* that stupid crumb collector. Considering fabbing up a nice peice of figured maple or something pretty that isn't a dish shape to go under there. Anybody have a clever idea for fabbing in a cup holder? The flat dash is nice for resting stuff on if you are traveling a STRAIGHT line, but turn a corner and that stuff goes sailing (out the passenger window if it's open, LOL). My sunglasses have ended up in the door pocket on the passenger side more than once, LOL.

drink holders

i've done two things, one, got a euro jr cup holder from wally world and mounted it on that nice flat spot you were talking about on the dash..if ya drill straight down you can then take one of the center vents out and get access to that hole that you just drilled and use a couple of small nuts/bolts to anchor it down and then put the vent back..only problem i found was the location limited the size of the drink container you could put there because of the windshield..

what i have now is one of the those containers where it mounts flat to the dash right next to the righthand middle vent, to the left of the glovebox...and just screw it straight in...the holder then folds down to hold even big gulps...

here is alink to the pic of one similar to mine on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63691&item=7969532362&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

good luck!

im pretty sure that you can still get at walmart, but there ar cup holders that slip in the door between the glass and door card, holds a drink easy and usually have a small pocket on the side for stuff. i used to have abunch from my mom's old car, havent a clue where they went though.

good luck in you search, if i can find some, ill take a pic for you.

drink holders

i've done two things, one, got a euro jr cup holder from wally world and mounted it on that nice flat spot you were talking about on the dash..if ya drill straight down you can then take one of the center vents out and get access to that hole that you just drilled and use a couple of small nuts/bolts to anchor it down and then put the vent back..only problem i found was the location limited the size of the drink container you could put there because of the windshield..

what i have now is one of the those containers where it mounts flat to the dash right next to the righthand middle vent, to the left of the glovebox...and just screw it straight in...the holder then folds down to hold even big gulps...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63691&item=7969532362&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

good luck!

AH! I saw those fold-up ones at GI-Joe's - I think they were only $6 or so.

im pretty sure that you can still get at walmart, but there ar cup holders that slip in the door between the glass and door card, holds a drink easy and usually have a small pocket on the side for stuff. i used to have abunch from my mom's old car, havent a clue where they went though.

good luck in you search, if i can find some, ill take a pic for you.

Ya, I actually got some of those before and I hated them. They'd always get knocked off getting out ouf the car - and they are just in the way on the door to me.

The interiors in the Subes from that era were really no worse than any other car. Cup holders didn't really become a common OEM feature until the early 90's

You might want to consider one of my favorite "alley" solutions to the cup holder problem...

It consists of a big fat sticky roll of duct tape. Just lay it down anywhere you need a cup holder, and place your drink in the middle hole. A few warm days is all it takes for the roll to securely attach itself to dash, carpet etc.

good luck, John

drink holders

good luck!

ya, the cupholder thing is quite easy.. euro jr works well.. i took a 1x, cut it to fit the coin holder next to the ebrake, and hot glued it there.. then i took one of theose window mount type cupholders, cut the arm that goes between the glass and door off, and screwed the bottom of the cupholder part to the wood. works fantastic...

I usually wedge it between my seat, ebrake lever, 4WD lever, and consol - downside is that it takes a small cup, and I sometimes find myself in 4WD - otherwise I hold it between my legs (which is fun driving stick) - or use a sealing container and let it roll all over the passenger side of the car.

In both my cars I use what I thought was a pretty standard spot...

With the ebrake down, and the 4wd lever in 2wd mode (down) there is a perfect amount of room to set a fast food cup or can or bottle down.

You certianly need to pay some attention to it and not drive all crazy... but I think it works out really well.

Target offers "Wedgies", card-style dual cupholders, that are supposed to fit between the seat and console but they don't fit their on the EA82s.. but they do fit in the door pockets. My wife loves them, but my legs are longer and I tend to end up with my lower thigh/knee resting against a thin sharp-ish edge of plastic. Plus, if you close the door with drink in place you might end up wearing some of the drink.

I usually just wedge my can of Diet Mt. Dew betseen seat and e-brake handle (PB 5-speed). I am not sure what I will do with my RX tranny....

big sized slurpees fit perfectly between drivers seat and e-brake lever :D Ive cursed that damn flat dash so many times before, get out of my car and cant find my cell phone and get really pissed and prepare to drive back to wherever i was last, and end up finding it in the passenger side pocket

It consists of a big fat sticky roll of duct tape. Just lay it down anywhere you need a cup holder, and place your drink in the middle hole. A few warm days is all it takes for the roll to securely attach itself to dash, carpet etc.

good luck, John

That's what I did. :grin: Works great.

oddly enough my parents 95 isuzu rodeo didn't come with cupholders either... and it has a dish under the e-brake handle... and a big flat spot over the glove compartment... hmmmm... i've had stuff fly out the window when i turned corners... not fun...

as for cup holders... we got this slick thing that looks like an oversized glasses case... with doube sided tape on the bottom... we stuck it right in the middle of the dash... it folds open and you have 2 nice cut holders... not too tacky... and they work good... i'll see if i can get a pic... this cup holder wasn't cheap though... its high quality...:D