Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poll: Head gasket blow'age, which side?

Well that is the side that is right next to the turbo, so the extra thermal load would easily do those cylindars in. This summer, I plan on getting a really nice heat sheild for the turbo in my wagon to keep the heads happy.
Could it be the hot oil from the turbo dumping into that head, making the difference?

I figure that the extra heat on that side combined with the apparent lack of fuel to #3 in a the normal fuel rail system would make that side more prone to problems. But you have already done a parrallel fuel rail modification right?

Ive got the block for the system and an external regulator.

All i need to do is get some barbs and some hose and do the install. its the same one I had on the wagon, and I need to adapt it to the RX before May 24th...So ive got plenty of time right now.

...the apparent lack of fuel to #3 in a the normal fuel rail system would make that side more prone to problems...

I have hear this theory several times before, but I just don’t see it, given the fuel systems layout it seems that #1 would see the most pressure drop if any exists. I’m betting in stock form there is very little pressure difference throughout the system, with mods who knows, some testing would be in order (easy enough with a fuel pressure gauge teed in at the regulator).

1-3fuelline.jpg

There are a couple of thing that could be part of the “hot #3 problem”. One is simple geography, #3 is the furthest from the water pump and I see no provision for forcing more flow in its direction, this flow would also spend more time in the block with more pre-heating before reaching the head area. Second possible factor, there is an area in the block adjacent to the #3 cylinder bore that provides access to one of the case bolts. The area closes off the water jacket around the cylinder and could create less cooling. Though I doubt this would have a huge affect, as the cylinders have interrupted water jackets in the center anyways (Siamesed) and most of the heating is in the head.

3cylinder.jpg

Just some thoughts

Gary

I've lost the 1-3 side also. The rupture was on the lower left corner ( if you are standing by the pass wheel facing motor). I have also had the head cracked enough on #3 in exhaust valve area to get really good coolant flow into exaust.

Bond woulda been proud of the smokescreen.