Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Subaru Brat

That Brings me to another question, Is the brat a car or a truck?
I prefer to flaunt the fact that it a 2door sedan.. at least according to import records. That gets people really confused. :rolleyes:

My Florida title lists the Brat as a 2d sedan. Make for some interesting conversations/arguments. :D

Its not a truck.. I dont know of any unibody trucks. They're all body-on-frame.

Its not a car.. I dont know of many cars with a pickup style bed (save for the elCamino and Ranchero, but even those were built truck style body-on-frame).

I dont care. Its a BRAT. :-p

What is the rated load capacity for the Brat in the bed and for towing?
From my 1984 Owners Manual:

Officially, the Brat never received a "tow" rating.

Max loading is 4 passengers at 150# each, with an additional 250# in the bed.

---

Related note, I have towed my 95 Altima on my race trailer with my Brat. I've got a customfab receiver hitch welded up under the tail end. Weights were 2900# for the car, and an additional 770# for the trailer. It was exceptionally slow and dangerous, but the Brat got the job done a heck of a lot better than I thought it would. Stopping was interesting, but predictable, and getting moving was okay in 4wd, sketchy in 2wd, and mildly acceptable in 4low.

I never tow with the Brat unless I have to. Others tow with theirs quite regularly. Depends on how much you wanna pull with it. :)

Any one having a FSM for the 78 series

and would like to sell it - please

PM me.

I would kindly ask

What years were the "Cyclops" third eye

"passing lamp" available?

Wow,our own little dinosaur forum....lovin' it!!

Skip,I've got you covered on the manual.I just hope you don't want it too soon.If you can somehow stop up this weekend I'll dig it out for you from the new storage unit.

Mick is right,and I think I started the rumor.I could swear I remember ssing the third eye on a '78 or '79 Brat.Maybe it was an experimental,maybe it didn't really happen....anyhow.I'm going to work on a flipper for my '78 wagon,but I'm sure our man Skip will have one sometime sooner.

Skip,you're welcome to call.Sorry I missed your call last week,but I called back within minutes.Gimme a shout if you have time later tonight,as late as you want,or tomorrow.

Its not a truck.. I dont know of any unibody trucks. They're all body-on-frame.

Early 60s Ford F-series and Econoline pick-ups,Chevy corvair trucks,VW fwd pick-ups,Subaru Baja,Sambar and countless mini trucks were all unibody

Its not a car.. I dont know of many cars with a pickup style bed (save for the elCamino and Ranchero, but even those were built truck style body-on-frame).

I dont care. Its a BRAT. :-p

Dodge Rampage for one.

Snowman

What is the rated load capacity for the Brat in the bed and for towing?

my brat is rated for 800lbs max load... from what i could tell thats max for everything... trailer, passengers, bed cargo... but my trailer hitch(i assume its stock) is rated for 4000lbs(i think)...

i have towed my parents trailer before(empty) which just so happens to way 800lbs... it was kinda fun...:D oddly enough though the brat sits to high for the trailer... the trailer was leaning back... so unless i was carrying oodles cotton balls or something i wouldn't use a trailer... i would just use the bed...

and for that page of colours... my brat is yellow... and there is no pic for the mild yellow in 79 on that page...

Found this on websters acronym finder:

BRATBi-Drive Recreational All-Terrain Transporter (Subaru model name for four-wheel drive car/truck, 1977-1987)

Let's just throw this one in for fun:

JESSICAJava-Enable Single-System-Image Computing Architecture

I always knew I was cool in the geek world.:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at a car dealership, and for differant classification of car truck suv a PT Criuser is classed as a suv, But I would say it's a car.

and for the Brat I say its a truck.

Or a japanese el camino

Some people just have never seen these cars

Brad

You know what amazes me? All these people driving these Baja's and when I tell them I drive the "Old Style" Baja, the Brat, they look at me funny and ask me what I'm talking about. And they're not always young teens either, they're older people.

You know what amazes me? All these people driving these Baja's and when I tell them I drive the "Old Style" Baja, the Brat, they look at me funny and ask me what I'm talking about. And they're not always young teens either, they're older people.

You bet... when I rented the Y'all Haul trailer to pick up the new '86, the cashier entering the rental into the computer asked what type of car was being towed... she got the Subaru ok, but after repeating the word Brat 3 times, I had to spell "B-R-A-T" because she didn't have a clue of what I was talking about. As she typed it in, she rolled her eyes and shrugged... that silent version of "whatever..."

its even harder up here... there are only a handful of people who have heard of of a brat(most of those people are over 40) and when i ask the dealership anything they are always silent as they think about what the hell i'm talking about...

and when people ask me what it looks like i either whip out my palm pilot and show a picture or i just say, "picture a midget el camino, with 4wd and a small engine..."

i even had to tell a guy at the parts center at the dealership where to look for my parts in the computer(because they get parts using the VIN which is 3 digits short on my 79)... i seemed to know there stock WAY better then they do...(even on the new gen stuff for the legacy)

I had to spell "B-R-A-T" because she didn't have a clue of what I was talking about.

i've had to spell it out a dozen times myself... then they ask what the hell kinda name is that for a car... A GOOD ONE!:D

i even talked to the car salesman about the baja... he had no idea what a brat was... i laughed and asked if they were hiring...(or replacing!:grin: )

• 8 years later...

Sorry for the thread dig, but I was looking for some updated BRAT / Brumby Production numbers ... ;)

Found this site has some & more info can be found here : http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html

The above only covers US, so wondering if anyone can get hold of a total overall figure of vehicles made in Japan ?

I would also like to get figures for other countries including 'Targa tops' or 'Sport' models as they were called here ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

P.S. - this link : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/brats.html ... no longer works ... :(

Edited by Bantum