Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i see things like EJ22 or EA81 or the like posted here all the time. what do they mean? i'm pretty new to subaru (although i've wanted one for quite some time now). i've never seen cars referred to as EJ or EA before...

EA82's are seen in loyales and the other boxy style cars, EJ's are found in legacys. ER27's are found in XT6's. EJ22's are considered the most rugged overhead cam engines, the EA81 is a pushrod engine found in most of the pre 1985 DL's and GL's as well as brats. Simple, but lower power. I forget the SVX's designation.

EA82's are seen in loyales and the other boxy style cars, EJ's are found in legacys. ER27's are found in XT6's. EJ22's are considered the most rugged overhead cam engines, the EA81 is a pushrod engine found in most of the pre 1985 DL's and GL's as well as brats. Simple, but lower power. I forget the SVX's designation.

so does the impreza have the same engine as the legacy? i'm guessing mine would be an EJ25? is there different designation between phase 1 and phase 2?

so does the impreza have the same engine as the legacy? i'm guessing mine would be an EJ25? is there different designation between phase 1 and phase 2?

The Impreza and Legacy do use the same motors.. whether it's an EJ22 or an EJ25 is determined by your engine displacement... it's also stamped on your motor somewhere.. i think above your #3 cylinder? .. if it's an Impreza something "2.5" then yes you have the EJ25.. there is no different designation between phase 1 and phase 2 except what year it is.. (edit) the "L" models are usually EJ22

The Impreza and Legacy do use the same motors.. whether it's an EJ22 or an EJ25 is determined by your engine displacement... it's also stamped on your motor somewhere.. i think above your #3 cylinder? .. if it's an Impreza something "2.5" then yes you have the EJ25.. there is no different designation between phase 1 and phase 2 except what year it is.. (edit) the "L" models are usually EJ22

Impreza's have the EJ18 (1.8) for 93 and 94, the EJ22 didn't go into them until 95, so for 95 and 96 you could only get the EJ22 in an Impreza LX with an automatic, the 96 Outback Sport didn't even have the 2.2. In 97, only automatic Impreza's had the 2.2. In 98, Subaru dropped the 1.8, leaving the EJ22 for all Impreza's, and in 99-01 came the 2.5RS which had the EJ25.

EA71: used in early Gen 1 Subarus in 70's and such. 1.6L OHV.

EA81: used in Gen 2 Subarus through 80's. 1.8L OHV.

EA82: used in Gen 3 Subarus (85-up DL/GL, XT, Loyale) through 94. 1.8L SOHC.

ER27: used in XT6 only. 2.7L SOHC 6cyl.

EJ22: used in many New-Gen Subarus, starting with 90 Legacy and ending with 01 Impreza. Two variations: 2.2L SOHC and 2.2L-T SOHC Phase I (hyd lifters) and 2.2 L SOHC Phase II (solid lifters).

EG33: used in SVX only. 3.3L DOHC 6cyl.

EJ18: used in base Impreza. 1.8L SOHC.

EJ25: used in new Subarus starting with 96 Legacy/Outback (I believe). Most basic engine available today. Several variations: 2.5L Phase I (DOHC), 2.5L Phase II (SOHC), and 2.5L-T DOHC (all new turbo models except WRX)

EZ30: used in Outback H6's and upcoming Tribeca. 3.0L DOHC 6cyl.

EJ20: used in WRX. 2.0L-T DOHC.

The only one I dunno is the Justy.

• Like 1

I forget the SVX's designation.

EG33 And the engine type is "stamped" (actually molded into the block) above the #1 cyl. You can usually see it if you look between and behind the P/S pump and the alternator.

Impreza's have the EJ18 (1.8) for 93 and 94, the EJ22 didn't go into them until 95, so for 95 and 96 you could only get the EJ22 in an Impreza LX with an automatic, the 96 Outback Sport didn't even have the 2.2. In 97, only automatic Impreza's had the 2.2. In 98, Subaru dropped the 1.8, leaving the EJ22 for all Impreza's, and in 99-01 came the 2.5RS which had the EJ25.
'98 2.5RS had the EJ25 Phase 1 (DOHC) and then in '99 changed to the EJ25 Phase 2 (SOHC), this last version is probably in your Outback because it's in my wife's '03 BAJA Gary

isn't there a ej-16? i think it's over seas

IIRC, most of Asia and parts of Europe use that motor in the current Impreza.

1.6 liters powering a 3100 lb. vehicle with an auto-trans has got to be a dog.

IIRC, most of Asia and parts of Europe use that motor in the current Impreza.

1.6 liters powering a 3100 lb. vehicle with an auto-trans has got to be a dog.

the USA is really the only country that uses bigger engines on a regular basis. most cars in europe and asia are smaller with smaller engines.

I used to think my car made a sensible amount of power. Then I became comfortable with WOT at 5000 rpm. Now I realize 135 HP is really overkill.

Don't forget the EF12, Subaru's inline three. I hear there was also a 1L version available overseas.

And north america is the only place that uses primarily auto trannies too. Most vehicles sold in europe are manual transmissions.
That is because most North Americans do not bother to properly learn how to drive a car. They just want it to go when you step on the gas and stop when you press on the brake. Who cares what is happening under the hood, let the mechanic worry about it. . . The problem is that they drive with the same attitude, and regularly try and defy the laws of physics. . . (the result being that they are suddenly going nowhere, and everyone behind them is moving along at a crawl)

• 8 years later...

I may have to just restart this topic, but maybe someone will see this and post here...  So, trying to understand... the 'new' '88 I just got, is probably an EA82?  When I went to sign up for USMB, it kept trying to put that up for me, and I kept deleting it, thinking it was in error over the year...duh... 

Anyway, would it have an EA81 , if those can run through the 80's or an EA82?

Thanks!  This gal is too gorgeous to not know everything about her... 

Don't forget that beside engine designation, colloquially EA "Bodied" Subarus means Old School Subies, while EJ "Bodied" Subarus are the Newer gens.

isn't there a ej-16? i think it's over seas

EJ15 for Manual Transmission Basic model Imprezas, and EJ16 for Automatic Transmission Imprezas in the LADM.

LADM = Latin American Domestic Market

Kind Regards.

I may have to just restart this topic, but maybe someone will see this and post here...  So, trying to understand... the 'new' '88 I just got, is probably an EA82?  When I went to sign up for USMB, it kept trying to put that up for me, and I kept deleting it, thinking it was in error over the year...duh... 

Anyway, would it have an EA81 , if those can run through the 80's or an EA82?

Thanks!  This gal is too gorgeous to not know everything about her... 

Yes, your "new" to you '88 would be an EA82, 1.8 liter engine.

EA71: used in early Gen 1 Subarus in 70's and such. 1.6L OHV.

EA81: used in Gen 2 Subarus through 80's. 1.8L OHV.

EA82: used in Gen 3 Subarus (85-up DL/GL, XT, Loyale) through 94. 1.8L SOHC.

ER27: used in XT6 only. 2.7L SOHC 6cyl.

EJ22: used in many New-Gen Subarus, starting with 90 Legacy and ending with 01 Impreza. Two variations: 2.2L SOHC and 2.2L-T SOHC Phase I (hyd lifters) and 2.2 L SOHC Phase II (solid lifters).

EG33: used in SVX only. 3.3L DOHC 6cyl.

EJ18: used in base Impreza. 1.8L SOHC.

EJ25: used in new Subarus starting with 96 Legacy/Outback (I believe). Most basic engine available today. Several variations: 2.5L Phase I (DOHC), 2.5L Phase II (SOHC), and 2.5L-T DOHC (all new turbo models except WRX)

EZ30: used in Outback H6's and upcoming Tribeca. 3.0L DOHC 6cyl.

EJ20: used in WRX. 2.0L-T DOHC.

The only one I dunno is the Justy.

Don't forget the EA61... and the EA71s were also used in the second gen Leones in DL trim.