Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing an RX

Going to tow one of my RX's to the shop this weekend, and tow the other back to my house. Question- do I need to unbolt the rear driveshaft, or will they be okay if I just leave them in neutral? They will be towed on a dolly, front wheels up, rear wheels down.

i say that you should spring for a flatbed tow truck, just to be on the safe side. i trust not hte tow dolly on a 4wd, or awd car.

good luck though. if its dual range 5 spd, it should be fine, but if its full time 4wd or awd, i wouldnt leave tires on the ground without disconnection the drive shaft, its too easy to have the car jump the dolly if there is power transfer from the wheels on the ground to the wheels in the dolly, even if in neutral.

without pulling a drive shaft, if you tow an awd car on a dolly, not only can you hurt the center diff, but you also run the rsk of having the car jump the dolly and go outta control.even if the car is in neutral, the transmission is still linking both sets of wheels and can cause serious damage. thats why i always insist on a flat bed to move my cars if they have to be towed.

if you are renting the dolly from uhaul, just go for the extra $15-20 and rent a 16foot car trailer.they make them pretty easy to use, and alot safer for the rx.dollys do work good for 2wd or cars that are not full time 4wd.good luck

It is being towed for free by a buddy, so getting a car trailer would cost me quite a bit more.

I'll just remove the driveshaft segment before towing it. No biggie. Just was wondering if it was necessary; I've never had a FT4WD car before.