Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What MPG do You Get in your 2.2L AWD?

I normally average an unimpressive 24mpg. 95 LSi wagon w/ auto tranny. I do about 70% highway miles. (My V8 Caprice got 23mpg on the highway, so the Sube irritated me at first in the mpg area.) My car has had new plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, but nothing impacted gas mileage. My plug wires look fine, but I'm swapping them out this next plug change...

Still, I love my Subaru. My goal is to somehow hit 26mpg, so let me know if anyone discovers the magic to that aspiration.

I normally average an unimpressive 24mpg. 95 LSi wagon w/ auto tranny. I do about 70% highway miles. (My V8 Caprice got 23mpg on the highway, so the Sube irritated me at first in the mpg area.) My car has had new plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, but nothing impacted gas mileage. My plug wires look fine, but I'm swapping them out this next plug change...

Still, I love my Subaru. My goal is to somehow hit 26mpg, so let me know if anyone discovers the magic to that aspiration.

Sounds like I've got the same car ('95 LSi wagon, w/roof rack), and have got as high as 30 mpg on all-highway driving. But normally I get in the lower 20s.

But an idea! subaru's auto's have that crazy 'fwd' fuse for towing, you know you put the fuse in when you tow the car. what if you were to run the car w/ a fuse in there.. i've never tried it, just an idea that came up.
It wouldn't do a thing. If you put a car with a full 4wd driveline in 2wd mode, the engine spins the front wheels, the car moves down the road, and the road spins the rear wheels and axles. So you still have to accelerate all that weight up to speed, and you still have frictional losses in the rear CV joints and the rear differential oil.

I used to get about 23 in a 95 a/t Leg Wagon, combined driving, the first Subaru we owned.

27 in a 97 a/t OBS mostly highway, the only new Suby we bought.

23 in a 91 a/t Leg wagon combined driving and about 26 on the hywy.

32 in a 97 Impreza m/t on the highway.

The manual got better MPG in the winter compared to the a/t's.

Hey Sweet82,

I made some of those for my Christmas tree last year, and they really reflected the light off the bulbs.

My apologies to the other religious groups here that don't celebrate Christmas, or any other celebration of good ole J.C.

• 2 weeks later...

well... mine is not turbo but gets the same mpg as yours: I'm happy when it does 23-24 on a highway. I have no idea what might be the reason... everything seems to be more or less tuned, tires pumped up, no binding... so no clue -- may be constant frontal wind? :-) I remember we've got around 45 mpg on my old Sentra with wind blowing our way on the trip through the Texas... on they way back I couldn't speed up more than 60 mph due to the same f..ing wind ;-)

I didn't do the mileage figures, but here's a scenerio to consider when you're figuring your mileage.

Trip out: driver and 2 passengers and a LARGE dog using full A/C.

Trip back, driver and 1 passenger and a LARGE dog, no A/C. 1/2 tank consumed.

I took the SAME trip the next day:

Trip out: Driver, no passenger, no A/C.

Trip back: Driver and one passenger, no A/C.

Less than 1/4 tank consumed.

Load + A/C made an enormous difference in total gas consumed. This was in an '05 Baja 5 sp. turbo.

• 4 weeks later...

i did a check the other day,i'm not sure if it good or not but i figured that i get roughly 21mpg :-\

she is a 94 with around 157,000 on the odometer.will have to work on getting those numbers up.what are some things i can do besides making sure tires are properly inflatted(already know about that one)

btw 90% of the driving is city and 10% is highway.

23mpg on my freeway commute in my 93 Legacy L AWD. It has WRX wheels and RE92s, which are a little taller than stock. 60 miles each way mostly moving pretty well. I've seen as high as 27, but it's a little low at the moment. I'm assuming it's because my p/s pump is on the way out and cruise at 80 and I'll hit 90+ when I get open space. I think I'll get a V1 with my next paycheck, which is going to be huge.

I've also been meaning to bump up the tire pressure a few psi to see what it does. Going up ~2 psi made a noticable difference awhile back. I'm at 34f/33r right now and I've been meaning to go up to maybe 36/35. My roof rack will probably go back on in the near future, so I'll see how that affects mileage as well. Having to fill up every 5 one-way trips gives me a pretty easy and accurate way to keep track of mileage.

23mpg on my freeway commute in my 93 Legacy L AWD. It has WRX wheels and RE92s, which are a little taller than stock.

If your tire circumference is longer than stock, and you haven't recalibrated your speedo, you're travelling faster and farther than your gauges would indicate. Your mileage is probably better than you think.

• 1 month later...

ok just last week i put in a can of seafoam.at first i didn't notice a diff,but when i went to refill the tank an figure out last weeks mpg.i couldn't believe it(28.56 mpg) now i'm also thinking that my gauge is off,it said that i was at about 1/8th of a tank.normally when it's down that much it usually takes about 24-25 bucks (roughly about 12-13 gallons)to fill it at 2.35 a gallon.this time i put in $20 bucks and 8.46 gallons

:-\ :confused: now did the seafoam do that well of a job or did i do something wrong.hmmmm weird

oh btw-99% of my driving is in the city