Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble deciding... keep which car? brat or imp

I am preparing to move out into the world on my own.. (well, sorta on my own, but either way, paying rent is soon to come) and I feel like I cant afford to keep both cars and my motorcycle.. so I am faced with a decision....

keep one car and the bike... but wich car?

keep the brat? its cute, its a brat, its origional, its nice.. and it has the truck functions (makes moving easy, and transporting things like the bike..)

but.. its a 2 seater, and the radio is still the orig. tape/am/fm by subaur.. not that bumpin, like the impreza has...

I could sell the brat and keep the $ in the bank to help me move, but i could do the same with the imp...

the other thing that I am not too fond of, the brat is carbed.. the imp is a very nice EJ18...

if i keep the impreza, i will miss the brattyness of the brat, but I will have a wagon, an offroader, but slightly beat up and more common to see.. which also makes finding parts easier/cheaper.. but I could always get another imp later or better.. but resale in current shape compared to the brat, is there interest in buying a pimped out lifted impreza over the brat?

I really wouldnt mind keeping either car or both.... but one really needs to go to help me keep my finances manageable (I cant really afford, or dont want to afford putting both on insurance at the same time either)

any ideas on what would be most practical to keep as a one-car driver?

and if it matters, the impreza does not have AC, and the brat does.. and I will be living in MN or WI soon.. and possibilites of visiting grandmother in AZ too... :eek:

any interest in one of these wonderful machines?

I may just drag them with me till i can figure it out later! I can use the brat as a trailer behind the impreza right? :D

Id keep the Impreza. It seems a shame to take a Brat to salt country where the Impreza isn't as rare. The wagon functions of the impreza will even out with the Brat on most things, and the more modern motor and stereo are very nice to have. Travelling between WA and MN (in case you have to) will be nicer in an Impreza too.

The Imp is probably cheaper to maintain and alot easier to drive on long trips. The Brat will nickle and dime you forever, you know that, not to mention the salt would kill it in a few years :rolleyes: You might be able to get a bike carrier for the back of the Imp. The Imp can also be fitted for a/c, shouldnt be to hard to do.

Rent a little trailer when you need to haul it, or anything really. Im thinking of getting rid of my Toyota that is bulletproof and replacing it with a small cargo trailer that the Vanagon, Outback or my Wagon could pull. one less vehicle to maintain and one less non Subaru around the driveway. Probably won't happen though its been too handy.

I'm with everyone else, keep the Imp. Really clean up the Brat and put it on ebay if it doesn't sell on the USMB for a decent price. Ebay prices are just nuts lately. I might have a trailer for you if you need one; I'd lend it to you for the move but getting it back would be a hassle.

Keep the Impreza. You can rent a small u-haul trailer to move across the country if you need to. You could buy a small trailer with the $$ generated by the brats sale.

Salt is nasty stuff, my brat is proof of that.

I would feel better personally letting the salt beat at a $3000 impreza which is a dime a dozen versus a beautiful $4000 + brat which is super rare.

In general the Impreza should also be more reliable than the Brat.

I took my 98 Impreza to reno and back with only 1 day of testing on it after getting it back from the shop which it had been housed at for like a year!

Still did better on the trip than any of my EA series cars would have. Way better gas mileage too.

By all means, keep the impreza. You can buy another brat later once you move to a place that doesnt use salt, or get a beater brat there once you are there for like $500 just to play around in.