Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in the spare tire well. 1996 impreza

hey, i have an issue that i need to get fixed asap. I have a 1996 impreza outback sport. I pulled my spare tire out of its hiding spot in the back hatch of the car. I found the spare to be wet, and when i went to investigate further, i found about 3 or 4 inches of water in the spare tire well. I havn't spilled water, or left my windows open in the rain.

I have heard of this problem before, but i don't know the cause or repair for it. if anyone has any info, please let me know. I don't really like the idea of a hot tub in the back of my Impreza.

thanks for your time

harpua

i think i remember it being the brake light gaskets, water leaks down in there, and continues into the spare tire wheel well. I'm pretty sure it's not the rear hatch gasket, because mine is gnarly, holes, ripped up, and i have no problems like that. but yeah, at least it's not your head gasket :drunk:

I solved it in my 96 by taking out the rubber plug in the bottom of the well and letting the water drain, then I left the plug out. I don't plan of fording any streams so I feel safe it leaving it out. One of these day I may get around to fixing the source of the water leak and change the trunk weather stripping.

hey, i have an issue that i need to get fixed asap. I have a 1996 impreza outback sport. I pulled my spare tire out of its hiding spot in the back hatch of the car. I found the spare to be wet, and when i went to investigate further, i found about 3 or 4 inches of water in the spare tire well.

ugh... sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I can sympathize. I had a 96 coupe and one day in the summer, the car just stunk. Imagine my surprise when I opened up the trunk and looked in the spare tire well. to make things worse, at one point we had a bag of sunflower seeds that was in the trunk and a bunch spilled into the tire well. you can imagine the nasty water and smell. I nearly threw up cleaning out that mess.

thanks for the idea corky...do you think my wagon will have the plug? I guess wagons and sedans can't be that much different as far as that is concerned....

I thought that when i heard of this problem before, something was said about the rain gutters being plugged or crap had just diverted the path of runoff...so water was able to leak into the car somehow. My rear hatch door seals are in perfect condition, so i don't see how water could be leaking in through there. and i havn't found any water dammage from the roof of the car or the side walls....i guess it could be leaking behind the interior plastic....

i don't know, maybe i will take it to the dealership on this one....it feels a whole lot like and electrical gremlin that is just too much of a hassle to mess with....

and a realization has just been hit....my rear wiper stopped working about 2 months ago....how much you want to bet that these problems are related...water leaking in through the back hatch past the wiper motor into the spare tire well......

hope i am on the right track....

thanks for the help

harpua

thanks for the idea corky...do you think my wagon will have the plug? I guess wagons and sedans can't be that much different as far as that is concerned....

I thought that when i heard of this problem before, something was said about the rain gutters being plugged or crap had just diverted the path of runoff...so water was able to leak into the car somehow. My rear hatch door seals are in perfect condition, so i don't see how water could be leaking in through there. and i havn't found any water dammage from the roof of the car or the side walls....i guess it could be leaking behind the interior plastic....

i don't know, maybe i will take it to the dealership on this one....it feels a whole lot like and electrical gremlin that is just too much of a hassle to mess with....

and a realization has just been hit....my rear wiper stopped working about 2 months ago....how much you want to bet that these problems are related...water leaking in through the back hatch past the wiper motor into the spare tire well......

hope i am on the right track....

thanks for the help

harpua

I remember seeing a post about this problem recently---and I think the solution was to R&R the tail lamps to reseal them to the body.....

its the seals on the tail lights, ive seen it in a few wagons when i used to work at a garage. you have to pull the lights out, completely remove the old seals, which is no easy task due to the stickiness of the material, replace the adhesive seal stuff and press back into the hole. you should be able to find the seal maker stuff at any parts store.

Ditto...Tail light seals. I took mine out and hit them with silicone clear and reinstalled and have no more problems. I am in Houston, and having the car sit in the heat made the car smell like swamp! As with others, I took out the plug and left it off, and have not had any more problems.

I guess I am too cheap to buy new seals :)

• 1 year later...
I solved it in my 96 by taking out the rubber plug in the bottom of the well and letting the water drain, then I left the plug out. I don't plan of fording any streams so I feel safe it leaving it out. One of these day I may get around to fixing the source of the water leak and change the trunk weather stripping.

I have a bad leak in my 97 coupe, i tracked it down to the pass side rear wheel well, with the trunk open if i look back and up in the p/r i can see light leaking thru. so if light can go thru i figured water can too. i pulled all the "carpet" out and felt around and had lots of water stuck down inside the fender, im not sure quite yet how im gonna get it all out or how to stop it. I thought about spray foaming the weel well from the outside but im not sure if that will stop it all.

I got the car in the winter and it had been sitting for a fwe months, took it into a buddys shop to clean it out and realised the entire sparetire well was a solid block of ice, spare, jack, lug wrench, and a few other random tools, gone the way of the cave man.

I thought about pulling the plug in the bottom of the trunk to help but it won't get all the water by any strech. oh well ill try it anyway. When i get new taillights/mine are cracked, ill be sure to seal them up really good.

I also had that problem, in my 01 impreza and the tail lights were sealed up but directly underneath the light housing on the inside of the trunk there was a round plug that had somehow dissapeared. I found a new plug at the hardware store, and that solved the problem.

the water was not as bad as having the top come off a gallon of milk on the way home from shopping in my wagon, and having it leak into the compartment under the floor, and all around the tire...of course this was in february so it all froze..along with all the straps and such I keep in there....ooohh that sucked.

hey, i have an issue that i need to get fixed asap. I have a 1996 impreza outback sport. I pulled my spare tire out of its hiding spot in the back hatch of the car. I found the spare to be wet, and when i went to investigate further, i found about 3 or 4 inches of water in the spare tire well. I havn't spilled water, or left my windows open in the rain.

I have heard of this problem before, but i don't know the cause or repair for it. if anyone has any info, please let me know. I don't really like the idea of a hot tub in the back of my Impreza.

thanks for your time

harpua

Hello:

If you see any visible rust, then I recomend a quick sanding and application of rust primer.

Just my two cents, living here in the heart of the rust belt.

John

• 12 years later...

Been troubleshooting a leak in the trunk of an 2007 Subaru Impreza.   Using a hose, found drips at several places around the seal, typically at seams that were not sealed properly (possibly after a rear end collision repair).  Sealed 4 such leaks; and still some leakage.  So removed the entire weather seal around the trunk, and with a big tube of adhesive coated all the metal and glued the entire seal back on.  No leaks from under the seal, but notice a small amount of water collecting on the inner side of the seal/metal interface (on the trunk inside of the seal)  all along the lower back edge.   In desperation, at night took a bright LED flashlight and shinned it all along the seal from the outside, while someone else opened the rear seat hatch and watch from inside the trunk.  Low and behold a small sliver of light was shining thru, at the top of the lower aft portion of the seal, about 1 inch long, right above where the water was found.  Opened and closed the trunk again, and did the light check again, and the position of the light shining thru moved and changed length, but still in the general area.  So conclusion is that the weather seal is just not seating tightly on the trunk lid, along the back lower portion, which allows water to seep through.  I was wondering if anyone knows if the trunk lid is adjustable in order to "pull" the trunk lid tighter down onto the seal?  Maybe at the latch? As a final option does anyone know if replacing the weather seal would fix this problem, until it ages and compresses again in the future?

Edited by TomW