Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XADO - anyone ever heard of it or used it?

Probably too good to be true... I'd definitely want to see some tests run by an independent reviewer. They definitely don't have anything remotely scientific on their site, just a bunch of market speak which means very little.

On the other hand, they're claiming that the roughly $50 tube of "Gel Revitalizer for Gasoline Engines" will last 60k miles. I can spend that on one dinner with the wife, and it won't last nearly as long :drunk:. Might be worth it to dump a tube into it every 60k, just to see if it works. God knows I've thrown more money at more stupid stuff before (computer hardware? Blech).

hmm, i thought that a product has to be proven to get a us patent. it has one, ths cant be too bad, in theory, but then again, we wont know till some one tries it. hell, i might give it a try, if it delivers on its claims, it might bet my rx running right again. or at least help, good thing i have two engines for it.

If I could afford it.. I would buy a "kit" run the gel in every component it's made for.. then run it for about 10k miles.. then tear everything apart and see how it all looks.. if it gums up or if it does what it says.. etc.. Thats the info i would like to know about... what's the stuff look like after you run it for a while. It's not a completely unheard of concept.. less friction with ceramic metal.. I like the IDEA behind the stuff.. but let's someone PLEASE find out if it WORKS!!!

Hey guys. I've noticed a bunch of you checking out our web site. Thanks for the interest. If you can decide on a guinea pig, I'll be happy to send out some samples. If you want to see what parts look like after treatment, visit our news section. There are a couple of photos of parts from dismantled engines. (Easier than tearing down your own!) I'll keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions you've got, or you can call the office; 888-399-9090.

i wonder if that would help a failing head gasket. if i had any money and knew that it would help the engine in the rx, id be all over it. hmm, how much is it for the gas engine oil aditive stuffs?

Subyrally - XADO won't help with leaks. The process only occurs in the friction zone. It's more likely the increase in compression you would get would just blow the thing right on out.

I'm thinking pretty hard about seeing if I can work a trial into my budget. If or when I do I'll try to keep a detailed log and let everyone know how it goes. The concept and theory sounds great. When I first saw something about it I was hoping maybe it would help with slightly worn valve guides, but from the sound of it that was the one place that it didn't benefit much. But, less wear and friction is always a good thing.

I'm skeptical (no offense, Xadoman), but I'm a believer in trying something new now and then, too. If I don't take a chance now and then I don't learn anything new, eh! LOL

Considering my engine is at 265,000 K (220,000 miles?)

and could probably benefit from something like this

-i've tried others, with little if any change-

i'de be willing to pour it in and see what happens

-hope it doesn't blow !!-

i unfortunatley wouldn't be able to tear my engine apart to SEE and change

but i could definetly give you my opinion on how it 'feels'

gotta do the oil soon anyway !!

also would be interested in some for my gearbox - gotta do that soon too !!

let me know if anyone is interested - also depends on cost though .....

oh, and of course, i'm a canadjian :}

so i don't even know if it's legal here ......

i'de happily take samples ........ ;P

thanks for the response on my question. once i get my other engine built up, i think ill replace the head gaskets in the current engine and give the stuff a test run. it couldnt hurt anything on an engine im not planning on running again once i get the new engine. it would be worth a try, i think that the head gaskets are the only issue with the engine at the moment.

i should be able to get to the point that im ready to try the stuff soon, i think ill be starting a new job this week coming up and then should start actually making some money.

how would that stuff know that i want 3 thousandths clearance on my crank, and not 2 thousandths?

rod to crank, and crank to case clearances are so small, ading "Stuff" all the way around seems not so good.

and how does it know what the part is supposed to be shaped like? reparis 80% worn pieces?

scary

Guest shadow

If you have a tired engine in a spare car, all that would need done is a teardown inspection, measure all critical friction surfaces, run this stuff for 10K miles, then tear it back down and see how much the surfaces have 'grown' together. According to the website there should be a measurable difference and tighter tolerances. I wouldn't feel comfortable 'electing' someone to test a product unless they were going to go the distance and provide unrefutable proof of before and after measurements.

"My engine runs much better now!" would be a dis-service to the community and the company if that is the extent of the test. I would also recommend sending in some componentry for surface hardness and finish testing, as well as before, during and after oil anaylisis. You can find all these additional services on the 'net at many independent labs across the country, and usually its not expensive at all. Gel + labor + lab testing, heck you might come out slightly cheaper than a rebuild! ;)

honestly, i have to agree

'sample' is hard to pass up.... :}

but really it needs reproduce-able proven results

not testimonials and pictures

its easy to say lots of things, harder to PROVE them

i would like to know if anyone can come up with this info

sounds interesting but .......

I don't know what XADO is (hey Xadoman, what's Xado?), but I know molybdenum sulfides are added to motor oil for a very similar effect - the molybdenum fills in rough patches on metal surfaces, "repairing" wear, reducing friction. Most of the high-mileage motor oils have such additives in them already.

In worn engines, I could see a surface-smoothening additive improving efficiency, but I would not expect miracles. If there were miracle additives, you'd have heard about them, and Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Sopus, and everyone else would be trying to sell them to you. So I guess I'll believe it when I hear it from a megabillionaire.

KStretch - XADO will work on the valve guides to the extent that they are getting oil. Depends mainly on the condition of your valve stem seals. Over the course of several hundred miles, its not uncommon to see a noticable difference.

I'm thinking pretty hard about seeing if I can work a trial into my budget. If or when I do I'll try to keep a detailed log and let everyone know how it goes. The concept and theory sounds great. When I first saw something about it I was hoping maybe it would help with slightly worn valve guides, but from the sound of it that was the one place that it didn't benefit much. But, less wear and friction is always a good thing.

I'm skeptical (no offense, Xadoman), but I'm a believer in trying something new now and then, too. If I don't take a chance now and then I don't learn anything new, eh! LOL

Bubonik - We have several distributors in Canada - see www.canutech.com

Considering my engine is at 265,000 K (220,000 miles?)

and could probably benefit from something like this

-i've tried others, with little if any change-

i'de be willing to pour it in and see what happens

-hope it doesn't blow !!-

i unfortunatley wouldn't be able to tear my engine apart to SEE and change

but i could definetly give you my opinion on how it 'feels'

gotta do the oil soon anyway !!

also would be interested in some for my gearbox - gotta do that soon too !!

let me know if anyone is interested - also depends on cost though .....

oh, and of course, i'm a canadjian :}

so i don't even know if it's legal here ......

i'de happily take samples ........ ;P

Archemitis - Think of it as the difference between static balancing your tires and spin balancing them. Do you really think any of that stuff is machined perfectly? The dynamic nature of the process allows for the optimum fit between parts.

The repair grease, which I', guessing you are referring to in your last comment is NOT recommended for new parts.

how would that stuff know that i want 3 thousandths clearance on my crank, and not 2 thousandths?

rod to crank, and crank to case clearances are so small, ading "Stuff" all the way around seems not so good.

and how does it know what the part is supposed to be shaped like? reparis 80% worn pieces?

scary

Shadow - Your points are very valid. Using XADO is similar to watching a submarine race. These kinds of studies have been done: http://www.xado.com/text/uk/doc/011.htm -scroll to the bottom-

The problem is, you can't reassemble the engine exactly as it was before, so you lose the benefit of the treatment.

Of course I understand that some people just have to reinvent the wheel.

If you have a tired engine in a spare car, all that would need done is a teardown inspection, measure all critical friction surfaces, run this stuff for 10K miles, then tear it back down and see how much the surfaces have 'grown' together. According to the website there should be a measurable difference and tighter tolerances. I wouldn't feel comfortable 'electing' someone to test a product unless they were going to go the distance and provide unrefutable proof of before and after measurements.

"My engine runs much better now!" would be a dis-service to the community and the company if that is the extent of the test. I would also recommend sending in some componentry for surface hardness and finish testing, as well as before, during and after oil anaylisis. You can find all these additional services on the 'net at many independent labs across the country, and usually its not expensive at all. Gel + labor + lab testing, heck you might come out slightly cheaper than a rebuild! ;)